We were having some of the same issues. However, it seemed to be unrelated to the sacks. I can definitely see static being an issue, though. We force-redownloaded firmware and code and after one test, everything was working fine. I plan on doing some more testing over the next couple of days.
It may end up being that we have to redownload firmware/code every couple of robot usage hours
Just to add on specific details:
One time we got the first part of the autonomous to work (one movement to get the sacks), then one of the encoders made all of the motors reverse. That was probably related to the sacks. We redownloaded the code (not firmware) and then the robot would go completely different directions than what was assigned. We ended up taking of the autonomous entirely due to the IME failure… it cost us at least one match.
I plan on dealing with redownloading firmware/code every once in a while for the rest of the year, but until the issue gets directly addressed, I’ll be sticking to the optical encoders.