What are the benefits of dual motor intakes?

My team is running low on motors and we were wondering what was the difference between a single motor and double motor intake.

1 Like

It really depends on your build quality. Single motor intake is fine if your intake is built well but if it’s not (or it’s running too fast) you could overheat the motor.

6 Likes

I believe a double motor intake is highly unnecessary. You aren’t gonna overheat the motor cause you won’t be running it 24/7(you only have 3 disc storage) and even if you are you won’t be running at full speed. I think a double motor is a waste of a perfectly useful motor

7 Likes

I would say it also depends on how your robot is designed. For instance, if your intake is connected to your roller mechanism, you might want two motors. You will probably just have to test and see what is best for you.

1 Like

Our intake is connected to our roller mechanism and our puncher, and it runs direct 600. No need for a second motor.

Congratulations! Ours is also running off just one motor but that is only because we only have 7. If you could send the one you saved from your intake I promise it will not go to waste.

1 Like

If only there was somewhere to buy more parts… :thinking:

Summary

Smart Motor & Gear Cartridges - VEX Robotics

If you didn’t notice my previous post was actually a joke. I live in England as you can probably tell by clicking on my avatar.

A double motor intake has way more torque and speed so you can move discs more efficiently and quickly were as a single motor intake will have less speed and less torque so discs move less efficiently and your motor may overheat if you only do one motor

1 Like

Actually :nerd_face: efficiency has nothing to do with the amount of power in a system, and has everything to do with the build quality of the intake. More friction = less efficient. The only thing a second motor does is help move a worse built intake.

5 Likes

??? what

2 Likes

@Redbluebear132 has a good point on this one. You can go ahead and make yourself a frictionless intake with only one motor, but a double motor intake will have more torque. Besides, what is the other motor for? If your drivetrain is built well enough, you don’t actually need 6 motors.

A 2 motor intake, while not necessary, will be less likely to overheat/burn out, and it is possible to gear the intake for higher speeds, making it more efficient.
It’s pretty much the same for a 6 motor drive, it’s really nice to have but not entirely necessary to be competitive.

2 Likes

@Ryan_4253B come get this man

Here is a breakdown of our robot:
4m 257rpm drive (4" omni & traction wheels)
2m 3000 rpm flywheel
2m Intake & Roller (900 rpm intake, 600 rpm transfer, 200 rpm roller)

Since we are running 4 motor drive and have 2 motors dedicated to our flywheel, we have 2 spare motors. While our intake is built well enough that it could run off one motor, we have 2 motors for our intake. This helps with edge cases, such as rare jams, trying to intake 2 disks side by side, etc. While we could dedicate this motor elsewhere, there is really no reason to do so, as we have pneumatics for an indexer and expansion (might change to a motorized indexer in the future). 2 motors on the intake also means that there is less of a likelihood for motors to overheat and lose power. In conclusion, 1 motor intake is fine, 2 motor intake is fine, just depends on the design of the robot.

Instead couldn’t you just use motorized indexer ratcheted to expansion and save 2 lbs?

I haven’t experimented with ratchets, but may do so in the future. For our early season bot we wanted to stay within our comfort zone, to make sure we have something competitive for our first tournament. (also funny fart noises are great)

Makes sense. We had a 1 motor flywheel 1 motor intake ratchet to slip gear indexer and to save weight we were one of the first teams to run our pneumatics without a tank (until they banned it). But thats what we went with for our early season bot. Rn we doing cata.

oh nah @Ryan_4253B

you do realize 2 extra motors gives you more power right? with the extra motors you can go beyond 257 into the 280-300 rpm zones