What is the best advice you could give?

It’s probably time for me to let go of that one.

3 Likes

If you’re short on time, do less, not more.

Its better to have a few lame mechanisms that work instead of a bunch of cool mechanisms that dont work

11 Likes

Definitely! This actually hurt my team a bit in the long run last season. Try not to bite off more than you can chew, and try to set realistic expectations for your team and your robot.

2 Likes

Especially relevant this season: build a simpler and more consistent robot for more driver practice and autonomous making.

8 Likes

Never underestimate ANYTHING. For example: Your competition, how hard the game is going to be, making an Engineering Notebook, etc. Just go into it thinking anything can happen.

7 Likes

Scouting is one of the most important things that you can do at a comp, it can give you new ideas and can halp you in the moment at that competition.

5 Likes

We underestimated our competition at Kalahari. We made it to the final round but still lost. if we had won, we would have gotten a worlds bid. It’s never as easy as you think it is.

3 Likes

Be gracious.
Don’t take your anger out on other teams after you get knocked out early in a comp. Especially don’t sabotage other teams’ bots or code. This happened to me a while back, where my sister team replaced every screw on my bot with pop rivets. That was a fun conversation.
Have fun!
One of my (many) designated roles on my team last year was team DJ. As well as keeping us focused, the music also helped when we needed to decompress with spontaneous dance parties.
Don’t revive old threads.
I apologize, I’m being a hypocrite, but I just found this now, and I feel like it could be very helpful.

9 Likes

Don’t paint your robot, waiting for paint to dry sucks!

7 Likes

Look at other people’s Ideas before you start building. I did not, and I had to alter a design in a bunch of ways to get a good robot.

4 Likes

I just didn’t start until September. That let me get a good handle of the meta before I made a bad mistake.

2 Likes

We had someone paint their robot for worlds last year. That wasted a lot of their time.

2 Likes

If you have the choice between:

• Rebuild with new knowledge and make a nutty bot

and

• Modify your existing robot, and keep it not amazing

Usually pick the first one. I’m not saying there aren’t exceptions, I’m just saying that it’s bad to be reluctant to rebuild a bot.

6 Likes

Yeah. Rebuild the bot. SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!

3 Likes

Don’t revive dead threads.

5 Likes

Don’t complain about reviving threads that don’t need separate threads.

:wink:

5 Likes

Never be hungry during a competition. I personally find it best to eat a big meal right before the start of the tournament, and then not worry about food all day. Also stay hydrated. That’s important too.

5 Likes

Practice an equal amount of driving and programming.
Also, if you kinda suck at one part of your driving, practice that part alone, with only that part so you have more time to practice.
Another thing is to not practice last minute before your matches in the tournament (if it’s a skills tournament) , because you might feel panicked that one part isn’t working, and you will be extra nervous during your matches, so you might mess up.
A very good tip: practice, practice, and PRACTICE.
You will not magically become amazing at driving during your matches when you don’t practice beforehand.
Your program won’t program itself.

4 Likes

Nah fam you got it wrong. You should definitely practice the strategy with the other team before your match. I think what you were going for in saying that is “don’t be nervous”. Everything else you said was very accurate though.

5 Likes

@Noah10851B I meant for skills, and yes, you should practice with your alliance.

6 Likes