What is the best type of plastic for a tray?

We recently tore our entire robot apart and are looking to build a tray-bot instead of a DR4B. To those of you with experience building trays, what type of plastic is best for the backing on the tray? Where can I find VEX-legal plastic for an affordable price?

Polycarbonate, https://www.robosource.net/plastic-sheets/16-polycarbonate-sheet-12-24-00625.html

.net not .com oops

1 Like

We use ABS because it has less friction than polycarbonate but it won’t matter as most plastics are just to keep cubes from misaligning.

Make sure to keep your emailed receipt of the polycarbonate so you can prove it’s less than 0.07” thick.

I’ve heard delrin works wonders because it’s sturdy and smooth, but our team personally uses lexan.

Is that competition legal? I thought lexan was a shattering plastic

Some teams use the old flags from TP, but all of the stuff mentioned above are great, too.

Lexan is a brand name for polycarbonate, a legal plastic. The illegal “shattering plastic” is plexiglass, also called acrylic or polymethylmethacrolate (PMMA). All this is described in rule R9 of the game manual (https://content.vexrobotics.com/docs/vrc-tower-takeover/GameManual-20190816.pdf)

2 Likes

These are polycarbonate, or “lexan”, a legal plastic per R9. If anyone did bank shot in IQ, the ramp is also polycarbonate of a legal thickness.

Hah. Pretty assertive for a half pound of colored plastic.

edit: not trying to be rude, just made me giggle.

1 Like

I’ve heard acetal polycarbonate (delrin) is the best but it’s more expensive than lexan and abs

If you are making something a little complex I would recommend making a prototype with lexan and making a final version with delrin.

1 Like

Isn’t that too think though?

There are a number of thicknesses available at that link, including 1/16” and 1/32”, which are both legal thicknesses.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.