What is the difference between v5 and cortex

our school has recently got v5, but we’re not allowed to go build and program until we have a thought out plan and designs (which isn’t bad we just can’t experiment). but the thing is since we did get new v5 we don’t understand it. is there any changes with programing, or how the brain works from the transfer from cortex to v5? is there any place i could learn these new things?

this will help our whole team, thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not a code person as of the moment, but I can tell you a few hardware differences. The brain is a touchscreen and it comes with a brain cover, make sure to put it on whenever you can. Since the motors are stronger, you are only permitted to use 8 on your robot at a maximum. The cables are different from legacy motors, and regular screws go into motors this time around rather than the special small screws. There are replaceable motor cartridges which are color coded.
https://store.robotmesh.com/vex-v5-motor-cartridge-200rpm
This the the 18:1, there’s also a red 36:1 and a blue 6:1, just unscrew the face of the motor and you’ll have easy access. The controller and brain don’t have physical vexnet keys, but there is a radio. The radio is another physical object that plugs into the brain with the smart cables you Usenet in motors, we suggest brain port 21. Make sure it’s facing up and is obstructed with the least amount of metal possible. The battery is similar to the legacy battery, just now there’s a separate cable so the battery doesn’t have one dangling off anymore. You can also charge your battery while running it (there are two holes at the bottom), but please only use this when prototyping something, never drive around while it’s charging, but even then it should put be a problem. The battery clips have a better grip. And that’s all I can think of, I hope this helps!

4 Likes

Would definitely recommend checking out the V5 section on https://help.vex.com

8 Likes

Good thing I’m a code person. :wink:
One of the most basic differences between the Cortex and the V5 software is that students coded on the Cortex in C and students program on the V5 in C++. Since C++ is derived from C there are certain similarities. Last year, Carnegie Mellon put out some videos that detailed several instances of programming for the Cortex in RobotC, and then showed how to do the same coding in Vex Coding Studio for the V5. Vex Coding Studio has (fortunately) been discontinued and is now replaced by VexCode. The commands in Vex Coding Studio and VexCode are the same though, so those videos still have good value.
First Video
If you want to know what coding software you should use, I would start with VexCode. It is more learner friendly than PROS. RobotMesh Studios is also an option if you know a language like Python and don’t want to try and learn C++ right away. PROS is probably the best coding software right now if you are doing advanced C++.

5 Likes

Good teamwork, @trontech569

1 Like

From what I understand there should also be a document about the V5 system, with comparations to the Cortex, it should be somewhere on the V5 section of the Vex website.

1 Like

thanks this will help our team :smile:

thanks for the resource :smile:

yeah i use pros and learned most c++ last year, but this will help others get started. i’ll definitely go watch it, thanks :smile:

1 Like

One of the big things is that v5 motors have encoders in them so you dont have to use separate ones.

The V5 motors are also more powerful, and they have a brake built into them.

The brake is a result of having an integrated encoder, as they can now run their own PID and brake that way.
Before you would’ve had a attach a separate sensor and make your own position checking or something

3 Likes

Which is still suggested thanks to wheel slippage

But only on tracking wheels.

Using an electric motor as a brake is not the same thing as using it to drive against the direction of motion. An electrical brake provides a low resistance between the motor terminals, which dumps kinetic energy either into a battery (like electric and some hybrid cars do) or as heat in the braking circuit. No encoder is required for this kind of braking.

1 Like

Wait what. This is new, could you explain it in detail?

Electric motors are just electric generators used in reverse, more or less. You can either apply electrical energy to generate mechanical motion, or you can apply mechanical motion to generate electrical energy. By shorting or near-shorting the terminals of a generator, it is able to dissipate incredible amounts of energy very quickly, resulting in a braking effect. Braking power is roughly the generator’s voltage squared divided by the resistance of the braking circuit (load + generator’s internal resistance), so a very low resistance results in a very high braking power.

2 Likes

Oh, I get it now, I was getting confused between hold and brake.

This discussion needs to get back on topic. otherwise it may get locked.