What is the max speed on a v5 motor

What is the max speed on a v5 motor

Depends on the cartridge you are using, they vary from 100 rpm 200 rpm and 600 rpm.

4 Likes

Just to clarify:
-green cartridge is called “high speed” and is 200RPM
-red cartridge is called “torque” and is 100RPM
-blue cartridge is called “turbo” and is 600RPM.

3 Likes

Where are you getting those names from?

1 Like

Pretty sure just blindly using the names for the 393 gears on V5 gear cartridges. Which isn’t even that ridiculous. (though the names have always been a bit silly)

4 Likes

Ah, makes sense… Thanks!

Just to note. The cartridges are almost solely called by their rpm amounts and not some arbitrary name assigned to them. I have never seen the V5 cartridges ever called “torque”, “high speed”, or “turbo”

2 Likes

Keep in mind that actual RPM may actually exceed the number that the gear cartridge is named for. For example, in Turning Point my flywheel was geared to the motor 1:3, with the motor having a 600 RPM blue gear cartridge, for a theoretical max speed of the flywheel being 1800 RPM. However, in practice, using voltage control, I was able to achieve higher speeds, reaching about 2000 RPM, about 10% faster than what was rated.

3 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t mean to confuse anyone. They are not specifically labeled as those names, I was just giving some common terminology.

I ran a V5 motor for 10 seconds at 12V at a continuous speed and I measured the RPM using the IME. At full speed, the V5 motor travels approximately 239 RPM using the 200 RPM internal gears. This can be converted to 717 RPM with 600 RPM cartridge and 119 RPM with the 100 RPM cartridge.

3 Likes

ah, so we do have a 400rpm drive XD

1 Like

This depends. If you’re using speed, rpm, or percentage to apply power to a motor it will go as fast as the cartridges says because the PID bottlenecks the motor. Only when you use voltage is when the motor can be 1.2x its desired RPM.

3 Likes

yeah we are using voltage on a 200rpm 5:3 ratio. Which gets you really close to 400rpm

and yes this is on 4" wheels

and yes our robot is really light

2 Likes

Is 400rpm with the wheels on the ground and cubes on the robot?

Probably not, but that is likely the speed of the wheels when the wheels are off the ground, with weight it would be a lot slower.

Would going at 1.2 times normal speed burn out the motors faster?

What is the normal speed you’re refering to?

Speed stated on the cartridge

Im honestly not sure. We don’t tend to go full speed with cubes in the tray or not. I am pretty sure the motors aren’t too strained by this gear ratio, and use most of the possible rpms though. Keep in mind this only works for a really light robot.

1 Like