What is your robot recipe?

Nobody:
The 1%: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

@dchoi77 has one technically.

1 Like

Im assuming most people think dr4b trays cannot stack in large volumes, however many of them can stack 10+ cubes with their telescopic trays, etc. I understand that smaller regular traybots are lighter and faster in drive speed, but thats the only main difference.

2 Likes

sorry about the late reply, the fact that standard traybots are faster means their stacks go up faster as well, this is what sets them apart.

1 Like

There really isnt enough time to do towers AND stacks. If you go for towers, then you’re only going to have time to make 1 stack of 7 or so, then towers the rest of the game. There isnt enough time to do huge stacks and towers.

Literally the only con you propose to DR4Bs are motor issues. But like instead of one motor arms, you can just do one motor lift. I know it sounds crazy but 1:7 torque motor can literally lift anything at a reasonable speed. Also complexity is never a con because complexity is subjective to anyone. At the same time, doesn’t matter if it’s complex. Just build it lol

the DR4B tray is by no means a bad design, in fact it’s a great design. The issue is that the complex traybot focuses more on whats important in this game. If a traybot can throw up 11 stacks of each color AND win auton (or just get 12 of each color) it doesn’t matter how many towers are scored, the traybot team has the majority of available points on the field.

1 Like

You’re very right, but huge stacks make tower scoring irrelevant.

I think hybrid dr4b trays are the way to go. We recently switched to one and since we never use stacking on stacks, the mini tray on our dr4b had plenty of capacity for our needs. It can also be easily lifted by one 100rpm motor geared 1:7 with enough bands. This lets you have a 4 motor drive and barely lose any functionality. This also makes it almost on par with other traybots as far as stacking speed and the #towerpower makes it well worth it. Here’s 3131V’s reveal that we took some inspiration from. https://youtu.be/7tSR5koQnSc

3 Likes

Huge stacks actually make tower scoring more relevant. If me and my opponent both build up a 10 stack of orange cubes and play towers with orange, then even if you stack the remaining 44 cubes, we would still win by tower play.
I had a tournament this weekend where I played towers a lot and I was hugely successful. Remember: if the opponent plays defense on your towers play, then they cant score!

2 Likes

Here’s how I see the match you cite play out:
in the opening, it’s much of the same, big stacks go up. Blue puts up ten orange, thinking they’ll increase those points with towers. Red puts up 11 orange cubes, they’re aiming to capture the majority of available points.
Next, blue puts the remaining orange cube in a tower. The score is now red 22, blue 20. Blue, noticing they’re behind, puts up another ten, this time in purple. Red puts up another 11, also in purple.

You see where this is going. In the scenario you suggest, as long as your enemies copy your prioritization of cubes, they can put up more than you to get the majority. The way to counter this would be to try to intake faster. This is where we realize that tower takeover is first and foremost about cubes.

The problem with prioritization is that you dont know what color your opponent is going for usually until after they collected all their cubes. You would’ve collected your own cubes in that time, which may be of different color.
In theory, mirroring the opponents action is easy, but in reality, it’s very difficult to do, and not very efficient

1 Like

however, if you collect the majority of every color, than it’s not prioritization, it’s domination.

Then make an 11 long dr4b tray. I know it sounds hard, but it’s literally just 3 stages and a slider

Once again, the DR4B tray is a good design. Most of what I’ve been arguing is strategy. The complex traybot can be built with less knowledge and bulk. Making it more viable for teams who don’t want to build a DR4B. Plus the fact that complex traybots can already hit most of the towers aside from the highest. A DR4B is a lot of extra effort for only a little gain. However, I do acknowledge that this may not be the case for you.

2 Likes

I mean that is a valid point, but again, it’s hard to do this in practice when cubes are being pushed all over the place in the heat of a match. The only way this could happen (practically) is if both bots had huuuuuge trays (like 15 or something) and collected 11 of every color by chance.

that tray lift tho. Also keep in mind tower play is the main reason for sniping colors. There was no color sniping in this match, and indeed, China as a region seems to have a different strategy overall compared to the US. Tower play seems to be more common here.

So yes, what you stated is correct, just keep in mind China may not be a good model to predict US matches

2 Likes

i do towers and stack

I am by no means saying that a tray lift can’t be viable. I’m saying that tray lifts just aren’t as viable as complex traybots.

1 Like