What should the 2020-2021 season Definition of Middle School Student be?

During the Tower Takeover and Squared Away season the definition of middle school student changed a few times.

Game Manual May
IQ Student - Anyone born after May 1, 2005 (i.e. who will be 14 or younger at VEX Worlds 2020). • VRC Middle School Student - A Student born after May 1, 2005 (i.e. who will be 14 or younger at VEX Worlds 2020).
Game Manual June
IQ Student - Anyone born after May 1, 2005 (i.e. who will be 14 or younger at VEX Worlds 2020). • VRC Middle School Student - A Student born after May 1, 2004 (i.e. who will be 15 or younger at VEX Worlds 2020).
Game Manual August
IQ Student - Anyone born after May 1, 2004 (i.e. who will be 15 or younger at VEX Worlds 2020). • VRC Middle School Student - A Student born after May 1, 2004 (i.e. who will be 15 or younger at VEX Worlds 2020).

What should the definition of Middle School Student be for the 2020-2021 season?

Please wait until game manual is released and read it.

This is premature to ask about an unreleased game.

9 Likes

I disagree that a discussion on the age rule is premature. I got a case of whiplash from last year’s age rule changes. It was poorly thought out and executed.

The EP Summit discussion on the topic was unsatisfactory and insufficient, they listened to a few people and then cut it off.

5 Likes

The OP did ask to discuss the topic, but asked “What will the definition of Middle School Student be for the 2020-2021 season?” which is a request for the official definition, which clearly is not out yet.

Per PSA - let’s hold off on new game/season discussions for a bit.

5 Likes

Perhaps renaming the topic “What should definition of Middle School Student be?” or “How to improve the definition of Middle School Student for future games?”

7 Likes

Very much agree with you. Happy to wait for the new game release in May and think gdc, RECF and VEX are doing a fantastic job.

I don’t know, but adult mentors definitely shouldn’t fit the definition.

1 Like

Oof Im classified as an IQ student.

2 Likes

What do I think???

With the 15 or younger cutoff, Most 9th graders and some 10th graders can do middle school VRC and IQ this year. That’s too old in my opinion. 10 grade students should not be doing IQ.

Elementary students are 12 or younger. That means that 6th graders and some 7th graders can still do elementary. That is also is too old in my opinion.

However, with these definitions as they are they do nicely segment each group into three year sets…

Elementary is age 9?-12
Middle School is age 13-15
High School is age 16-18

What I would recommend:

Elementary through age 11
Middle School through age 14
High School through graduation.

I did see this new graphic as well that has suggested grades, but I don’t think it applies to competitive students…

2 Likes

I think Go grades 3-4
VIQ Elementary 3-6
VIQ middle 6-8
VRC grades 6-12

I like the overlap, let the teams decide.

2 Likes

I’d like to see 14 at Worlds date as the upper limit for middle school.
As VEX have a global audience, using age rather than US grades is helpful.

1 Like

If I had known these definitions I could have competed in MS this year…

2 Likes

I could have competed in IQ…

1 Like

I think they should change it from age based to grades 6-8 counting as middle school. While it may be convenient for some that the rules as of now allow for some 9th and 10th graders to count as middle school, i don’t think that should be the case because then awards like “middle school excellence” are not really for middle schoolers.

1 Like

If we take these current definitions and applied them to my high school career, I would have been eligible to compete as a VEX IQ and VRC Middle School student in my Grade 11 year. That seems a tad bit unfair, especially since many VEX IQ events are still blended between Elementary and Middle School students.

17 Likes