What strategies are NOT allowed in Tower Take Over?

You’re right, looks like such an interaction is illegal. I still think a Q&A question to clarify the exact extent of the rule would be worthwhile though.

0 Likes

I’m looking at this again, and < SG3>F is specifically about cubes scored in the protected zone goal zone. I don’t think this offers any protection from bumping the opponent into their own towers in the small-square goal zone.

Update from other thread:

Idk why I keep getting mudled on this. You’re right.
< SG3>Robots may not intentioally, or accidentally, directly, or indirectly … contact any scored cubes in either of opposing alliance’s goal zones.
I must have read all this 50 times and that kept eluding me.

0 Likes

I think vex tried to destroy any loopholes in affecting the other alliances scoring. The game will be crazy enough with the towers.

0 Likes

Perhaps, but if they really wanted that, why not put protected zones around both corners?

< SG3>Robots may not intentioally, or accidentally, directly, or indirectly … contact any scored cubes in either of opposing alliance’s goal zones.

0 Likes

The field is tight enough as it is. The cubes take up a ton of space. If they gave all scoring zones a protected zone, the field would be smaller.

0 Likes

Definetely true - but then why does SG3 7 (highlighted above) specify cubes scored in the protected zone, and not in the goal zone? It’s entirely possible that’s an oversight, but if so I think a clarification/correction is needed to the rule.

0 Likes

Could you ‘trap’ a robot in their own protected zone without it being trapping? The rule book stipulates that trapping is when a robot is confined to a space of 1 square or less. Could you build a robot that had arms with “walls” on them to trap an opponent into their own zone?

0 Likes

More viable is probably keeping them out, because you cannot touch a robot all the way in their own zone. But, if your wallbot was big enough to fence off 2x2 Field tiles and leave some room around them so they aren’t entirely in their zone it would be legal.

There have definitely been some that large before - I have a video of one that much bigger, but I don’t feel like encouraging wall bots by sharing (no offense).

0 Likes

Sure you could try and push another robot into their stack, but as soon as they are in the protected zone, since you would be touching them, you would immediately penalized.

0 Likes

One stack isn’t in a protected zone. That said, you still cannot knock over a tower that is already in place.

0 Likes

If you were to enclose them in their own Protected Zone, and they initiate contact, would that not be legal? An opponent can’t force anyone into a penalty, so contact would be game on from there.

0 Likes

My interpretation would be that if you’re in their zone, you’re at fault. That doesn’t feel like them “forcing” the penalty.

Other wise it turns into a game of “I’m not touching you. I’m not touching you.” where defense is inviting them to “force the penalty” - like the rules say, offense always gets the benefit of the doubt.

TL;DR: I think you need to give them some space (a few inches) outside their protected zone to be safe.

0 Likes

Ok, could someone please explain the purpose of outer protected zones? If we have cubes in the outer protected zones, can the opposing alliances remove them?

0 Likes

No, they can’t. Hoarding is allowed.

0 Likes

Other teams can actually remove cubes from the outer protected zone. That are comes with almost no protections (I believe the only applicable rule to this zone is the part about a robot which is totally contained in the protected zone)

1 Like

The main effect of the protected zone is to give you an area where you can stack in peace without interference. At the other goal zone they can get in your way and play more aggressive defense.

1 Like

Hoarding is allowed, but there’s no where you cubes are protected unless they are scored.

0 Likes

Thanks for the info.

0 Likes

Hello you can call me Ryan I was wondering if any can share me ideas on the new game “Tower Takeover” I appreciate any one who reply / and or who read these thank you for given me some of your time. I also thank you for the info.

0 Likes

Hi there, there is a large thread related to this, and a simple search would have gotten you there.

1 Like