Whats the Best Base for a Robot?

We want to know whats the best base or Chassi for a claw bot to make sure we can make ours fully functional and stable. We plan on having a rather large claw base so we want to have as much room for our motors and stuff after we build the scissor claw and attach the wheels.

Also how could it effect our size limit. of 18" 18", ours is already a 16" 16"

Well, the kind of base or chassis you use will be based on your needs. So do you want traction, speed, maneuverability, power, most stability, or do you want to strafe? There really is no such thing as a “best” chassis, but there is a best chassis based on one’s needs and wants. So what exactly do you want or need in your base and what are you going to be using the robot for? Answering these questions will give you (or us) parameters so you can choose the best chassis for what you need your robot to do (and so we can assist you with the same).

Is your robot for Turning Point or are you making it for something else?

We are making it for Turning Point.

You shouldn’t. The clawbot can’t reach the high posts or score flags. Make your own robot. It’s better to fail and learn than succeed (in building a robot that isn’t going to win you any competitions) and learn nothing.

Yes but we need it to grab cones and flip them to score a majority of our points

Are you building an ALBA for ITZ?

Can u use normal human talk for me

An “ALBA” was a term used last year for In The Zone for a robot that was fairly barebones.

As for using a clawbot, even for flipping caps, it would be better for a team to experiment and learn from failed designs instead of following strictly from a manual only to understand half of the concepts. I personally took your path with a Clawbot in Skyrise; I can easily tell you that when me and my team took the action to go "outside of the box" and making our own custom design for the game, we learned a lot from those experiences.

Making even a basic drive train with 4 motors on direct drive and a flipping arm can give you the same functionality that you are trying to achieve with a Clawbot. And I can almost guarantee you that it will function much better than the Clawbot.

@RoboCats There is no magical universal “best” anything. Everything has its own pros and cons.

However, you can use the engineering design process to determine for yourself, what may be the best option for your specific team and strategy.

1. Define the problem.

2. Background Research.

3. Specify Requirements.

4. Brainstorm, Evaluate, Choose.

5. Develop and Protoype.

6. Test Solution.

7. Communicate Results.

Also remember, it is an iterative design cycle, not a one and done formula. Be prepared to revisit previous steps, sometimes over and over, until you meet your goal.

Example of part of the design process attached.

Some notes, for achieving the “best” design for you.

1. Be objective. Try to find numerical metrics of the “goodness” of each feature you consider to be important. In instances where no truly objective number can be assigned, try to be as unbiased as possible when assigning value.

2. Don’t twist data to provide the result you want. You can make numbers say anything you want, especially if you are the one making them up. For example, if you have already built a mecanum drive and you are tweaking how important certain things are to make sure that mecanum comes out on top.

3. Fail often and fail quickly, and learn from it. This can be structured experiments in the classroom, or it can be competitions. Test everything repeatedly, and collect meaningful data.

4. Be honest. Don’t throw blame, try to find the root cause of your problems, and then work that into your design process.
    20180830_172911.jpg
    20180830_171724.jpg
    20180830_173637.jpg
    20180830_171239.jpg
    20180830_174506.jpg
    20180830_175107.jpg
    20180830_175627.jpg
    20180830_180702.jpg
    20180830_180221.jpg

1 Like

Don’t use a Clawbot. That is the one lesson that most of us learn about competitive VEX.
The only conceivable ways to score would be touching a bottom flag with a ball and flipping caps (as well as parking), and those are one point each (except for parking, which is 3 or 6 points). So, I would not recommend using a Clawbot.

Building on @gilmorkn472’s comment, I highly recommend that you experiment with n-bar lifts. They are relatively easy to build and there is quite a healthy collection of resources available on youtube if you need assistance.

Here are a few: Six bar
Four bar
Another 6 bar video

A plus side to an n-bar lift is that you can experiment with a passive fork or a motorized wrist with a fork. These options can open up a number of scoring opportunities that can greatly enhance your success