Who is your greatest inspiration when picking a design

So I know there is another post exactly like this one but thats from 2011 so I wanted to know everybody’s greatest inspiration when designing a robot for this years game tipping point. Personally my team and I watched all the reveals but the main teams we base our tobot around is teams like pibotics,99999v,semicolon, and pink unicorns. So basically all the good teams this year. Then after basing our robot around then we actually got to go to the Kalahari Classic which had all four of those teams there, and ngl we were kinda fan girling out a little bit So I would love to know everybody’s greatest inspiration when building the game this year and why you decided to base your design around theres. Even if it’s like a team from your school.

4 Likes

So, there was this one guy at my school, he was a fantastic driver, but he once said to me “Build the bot that everyone expects in an unexpected way.” So, I normally find a general idea of a design and then start making my own version. Also, I am now primarily the coder, but I do end up doing a lot of the building and was a builder first.

5 Likes

steps to success (in great ideas )

1. Set low standers
  2. Don’t try to win have fun
  3. Don’t sleep your best ideas only come after sleep depravation and lots of caffeine
  4. And if all else fails you can always just straight up copy someone else

100%* safe* and fun** way to get inspiration*** when picking**** a design*****. enjoy******

* 51% rounds up to 100
** no guarantee for safety
*** including but not limited to copying others
**** picking is not an 100% reliable solution compared to building
***** designs included but not limited to hero bot
****** Some of this is kinda real advice but most isn’t. No fun allowed!

6 Likes

My greatest inspiration is my two brain cells and a screwdriver. The pair usually make something pretty good. Also the internet, reveals, and engineering concepts. No teams in particular because I feel to guilty stealing someone else’s design.

1 Like

my inspiration was those walmart forklifts and a garage door. im not kidding

4 Likes

Listen to those late-night robotics ideas that come into your brain when you’re trying to go to sleep and end up staying up for 2 more hours sketching out a concept so you don’t forget. Oddly specific…

6 Likes

YES! THIS IS ME! And the worst part is I’m never at peace until I actually get to building the darn thing and getting it to work, it’s like a super detailed CAD file is downloaded to my brain and I can see it and I can’t put it in the trash because it has special encryption. I also get inspiration from literally thinking of random things and how they might work. For example I had super janky tower takeover locks that never worked and doomed our team the entire season……, but ignore that part I just had the idea that if they locked in this little hole after extending that would be neat and they wouldn’t be able to move, and then everything just fell into place. demoralizing pun intended. Also I think about the state of objects, and then extrapolating every little detail I can leverage to create a design. My brain is a strange place.

5 Likes

Yeah my brain does this aswell. It can be really annoying as you think about it for the next 24 hours hours or until you meet.

4 Likes