Why do we like torx?

Most of the engineering-related forums I visited tended to think that Torx screws strip easily.
That doesn’t seem to be the case here, though.

Why, do you think, does the VEX people like Torx, when other engineering people don’t like Torx?

because compared to hex drive torx is like a miracle product.

17 Likes

I can back this. I’m in FRC, and we specifically ordered a huge amount of torx 4-40 bolts to replace the hex ones that come with the shaft collars. We did this because with the hex shaft collars, they strip easily, especially with the tightness that we like. Also, the hex drivers can round off if you aren’t careful, and this doesn’t happen with torx. Overall, torx is a much better solution due to its greater strength and durability then hex.

1 Like

In terms of smaller screws (1/4in or less) torx beats almost everything. But I can see how it could strip if you get into a larger bolt but at the same time I work on cars quite a bit and torx bolts are still somewhat common even when they have a high torque spec. The reason why they strip is mostly because of people using the wrong size tool as that will cause the head to strip very fast (the same is true for almost all fasteners).

In terms of engineering people and their distaste for torx, part of this comes from the manufacturers that they work for as they will usually be incentivised to make their own special head that requires the end user to purchase additional tooling (more profit). Other than that the next best thing is 12 point hex which can take a ton of abuse (it’s like an equivalent of torx for larger bolts) and beyond that you will typically see hex as it will not strip out when the head is larger and it can take more abuse (damage) with tools still being able to work for it as hex usually has more engagement (the tool goes deeper into the fastener which makes it less likely to slipping out). But tiny hex stuff is a nightmare.

tldr: if you don’t want stuff to strip use the right tools

12 Likes

i love hex and torx, but they each have different uses. in my experience hex is better for larger, stronger bolts, but doesn’t do too well on smaller ones. smaller bolts is where torx excels at in my experience
it also depends a lot on the tool. get a good screwdriver and wrench and you’ll be fine

5 Likes

Many times when I have encountered large hex bolts on a car, especially in brakes, you know you are going to be in for a tough ride and everything needs to be treated with kid gloves, care and attention. When I see a Torx head, I rejoice. That said, here in the UK Snap-On didn’t offer lifetime warranty on one particular size of Torx that I always found weird. Found out one day that it was because it was a common size on a particular very popular commercial vehicle where there was a high toque Torx head, and fitters were breaking the tool like nobodies business.

2 Likes

I’ve never had issues with torx screws stripping before. The only screws we buy are either torx or hex, and the hex are horrible so we dont ever use them cuz they strip so easily.

Hex is generally fine, even in Vex. However the weakness of hex quickly becomes apparent when you give universal hex drivers, and impact drills to monkeys who want to test out their grip strength on small hex heads…

4 Likes

Generally I have found that the vex hex drivers strip more often then the hex screws themselves. If you don’t buy your own higher quality drivers then using hex screws can be quite frustrating and not very fun at all.

2 Likes

Buy good hex drivers and every so often file the worn part away. A grinding wheel makes fast work of doing a half dozen.

On Cortex motors I moved to cap head screws and never had a problem. I’ve also used cap heads to build with. I recommend them for what will be hard to reach locations.

The torx drivers will also wear with use, tuck a new one in your tool box for when that happens.

4 Likes

Be careful though, some tools have only the tips hardened, so once the end is filed the new head is as soft as butter.

3 Likes