will you build your robot to be lifted or to lift?

Personally i feel like being lifted isn’t too much of a constraint on our build so well probably try to go with an H-drive and remain as light as possible just in case one of our alliance members comes with a ramp.

Actually, how about both?

Apart from the problems with weight, doing both is actually possible.

For climbing ramps, you probably need a high base, so balls getting stuck under your base might be a problem you might want to consider.

But both is still a plausible idea

Our robot only lifts. That’s because at this point so early in the season I don’t really trust every lift out there. Our robot is pretty expensive too. I wouldn’t want anyone dropping it right now. But we do plan on being able to lift every kind of robot, even stationary ones.

Later in the season, do you think your robot will be modified so that it could be elevated? Not by just any robot, of course, but by robots that you can trust to be safe at least?

Yes. I think the method we plan to use for getting it off the ground is going to be pretty cool if it works. (Context: Our robot is REALLY low to the ground. I can’t even slide a plate under it.)

Looking at it from a tournament play perspective, it is best to be the ones lifting

Lifting gives you the capability to (literally) carry your alliance. Because you get randomly seeded alliance partners in qualifying, you want to be as flexible as possible. If you design your robot to solely be lifted, you will be dependent on your alliance partners to get the lift bonus.

(Although clearly being able to lift AND be lifted is best)

I look forward to it! :cool:

For our first competition we will not be worrying about lifting because we would like to have a robot done, and not have to waste time on an elevation devices… Also, in the time we save, we can score more than 10 balls in the high school which would be equal/more than an high elevation.

I believe that would hold true in early competitions, so that will be a great strategy… Until states probably.

Yes, I do agree that it will hold up til around states, but hopefully by then, we will have an elevation system.

Right. While you can’t depend on your ally to be able to lift you, you also can’t depend on them to be compatible with your lifter either. Many teams will design their robots to be lifters and would themselves be difficult to lift. Having a removable lifting mechanism, to save weight when you’re not the one doing the lifting, and a chassis designed to drive on a variety of “terrain” (other robots) can help you adapt to a greater number of alliance possibilities.

I would expect some teams to make changes to their robot before the match just to work will with their alliance’s lifting systems.

At first I was thinking a rigid system would help teams succeed, but it seems that it is actually how well the team adapts to their alliance.

A tank thread drive at worlds? :smiley:

Dang I was hoping that I was the only one who had thought of that. When you say “lifting mechanism,” are you thinking about ramps or lifts specifically?

I was speaking generally about anything teams use to elevate their ally. The idea applies to both of those mechanisms; removing it would save weight.

The issue with this is that anything you build on the fly between matches is untested and may cause any number of issues with your robot. Personally I would not trust an entirely untested design with my team’s robot. Reconfiguring the robot can work, but those configurations should be built, tested, and documented in advance to ensure their success.

That’s what I believe will be the biggest problem teams will have to face this year. Early in the season, teams are already coming up with elevation designs that work (I can’t imagine what will happen in Worlds – 2 second elevation?). The challenging part of elevation is to fit the wide variety of robots.

So I guess in a sense it’s harder to be elevated than to elevate.