Wiring a Non-Vex Motor

Hey guys,

For a competition I’m doing, I will be using a “non-vex” motor. Now, I was wondering which RC Motor would be the best to buy and how I would go about wiring it…?

I’d appreciate the help.

Trossen robotics sells some nice motors. Are you going for torque or speed?

Technic-R-C

Probably more speed than the current VEX motors. But my main questions is wiring. We have some nice motors from Venom that we plan to order, but we’re kinda lost on how to wire them up for the Microcontroller.

You will need a motor controller in order to use non-vex motor. Search the forum there was a good thread a while back about using non-vex motors with the microcontroller.

I would reccomend some HB-25 speed controller from Parallax. Although they aren’t that cheap they are very well built and designed. However you could always build your own H-Bridge. This is a much cheaper alternative and works just as well.

Technic-R-C

P.S. wiring comes with the HB-25 manual

a Traxxas Velineon Brushless Motor with a Velineon VXL-3 speed controller lol

Do some Google searches for lightweight Battlebots. I’ve seen a lot of 12/15 pound Battlebots use Vex controllers and non-Vex motors, although IFI’s speed controllers (often sans fans on the lightweight classes) are a popular choice as well.

Or depending on the size of the motor you are looking to use (from your post it sounds small), if you have a local hobby shop in your area go there and look through the RC car or airplane section. You may find some good small motors and PWM speed controllers there. The hobby shop speed controllers and motors may also have the added advantage of running of 7.2v dc, making wiring easier.

To wire them up, you need to give the speed controller electricity*, get a PWM cable and connect the speed controller to one of the Motor ports, and then wire the motor to the speed controller outputs.

• Avoid powering the speed controller and Vex controller off a single battery - even if everything is rated for 7.2v - as larger motors will drain the battery quicker. However, you can wire up multiple Vex robot batteries in parallel to increase the available current which would increase the run time. Or you can power the Vex controller from one battery and the speed controller from a second battery.

I used the HB-25 DC Motor Controller to drive my high powered DIY Electric Train motor shown in the gallery photo. The brass worm gear drive connected to the output shaft matched the Vex gears perfectly. The Vex Controller had no problems generating the RC servo commands needed to control motor’s speed and direction.

https://vexforum.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=3566&c=newimages&cutoffdate=25

Depending on the size of the motor you will have to get an appropriate driver. If you are using a high current motor then you probably want a nice ifi driver but if you are using a decent sized motor less than 10 amps you can use these drivers.

You may have to play with the pwm signal a bit to get it tuned in but this driver is priced very well compared to monster 100 + amp drivers that range in the hundreds.

15 amps without a heatsink!!! Up to 24v!!!