X drive tips

Hey there! My team has elected to build an x-drive for this season, and we did quite well accually! However, since our team is new to the “driving” element of x-drive we were looking for some tips that you may have to help us “git gud” at driving. Thanks in advance and good luck competing in the 2020-2021 vex season!

p.s. How many times did I say “driving” in this one post lol

I have the left stick control sideways motion and moving the right stick side to side control turning. When you are getting to driving, you may want to follow the robot from behind. Then, you will get good enough to just turn your head or arms a bit to help think about what is forward. Eventually you just be able to drive it like anything else.

2 Likes

We use normal tank drive(left side is controlled by the left joy and vise versa). For the strafing we have it on the left joystick’s x axis. This was a easy way for me to start driving with strafing, because I was familiar with tank controls.

3 Likes

My team uses a modified split arcade. Left stick controls robot movement (direction of travel and speed in that direction), while right stick controls turning.

As for gitting gud, you just have to practice. Rome wasn’t built in a day, and the best drivers didn’t start that way.

4 Likes

We use the right stick control forward/backwards and left/right, and the left stick for turning. We chose that layout because it’s the same as most cheap drones, which our driver had experience with.

Since our driver was new last season, he had a hard time turning slowly. I addressed this by making the up/down on the left stick be a turning speed multiplayer. That way puting the stick up and left spun super fast and down and left was super slow.

I also recommend practicing specific things while timing it to try to get the lowest time you can. For example, you could see how fast you can flip all the goals to your color.

4 Likes

My left joystick controls the movement, while the right one controls rotation.

2 Likes

Also, we programmed ours last year ( don’t know exactly how we did it, something with an x=y statement between joystick position and drive speed, and that helped a lot with making precise turns.

If your driver has experience using a tank drive, split arcade is the way to go as it’s basically a tank control with left/right strafing

1 Like

you can also try making a field centric drive :eyes:

1 Like

I think I know what you mean (direction doesnt depend on the robot’s rotation) and while that is a cool idea, I kinda don’t think the original poster knows how to implement it or that it would actually help.

4 Likes

Happy Birthday @2775Josh!!! Go have some delionkies cake! :birthday: :birthday: :birthday:

4 Likes

Happy Birthday and enjoy the weekend my friend!

2 Likes