Your Trusty Paperclip

Some of you may have heard of or seen MacGyver, especially the clip titled “My trusty paperclip.”, where MacGyver uses a bent paper clip to defuse a bomb. So, what’s your “Trusty paperclip” for Vex? What is your favorite trick or tool that you use to fix your robot when worst comes to worst?

The Clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09UlB17cgKw

4 Likes

There’s always the classic duct tape and zipties.

5 Likes

I’d have to say during comps, it would be pockets full of tools and screws and wrists covered with rubber bands for quick use.

7 Likes

I have an allen wrench that is like 6 inches long, that can reach hard to reach areas or allow you to exert a lot of torque on screws. I do not let it near any other teams or out of my sight.

8 Likes

definitely the snips. I use mine for cutting, hammering, pliers, and threatening other teams.

10 Likes

c channel couplers. never for what it says on the tin, always for random structural bits.

3 Likes

No team has ever won worlds without c channel couplers on their chassis. This is a fact. Anyone who claims otherwise is lying.

3 Likes

For turning point, my team had this awesome pair of pliers. After coming back from the US open our middle school program was disbanded and the coach retired.

No clue where they went, but they haven’t ever been seen again. I miss them every time I Have to use some other pair of second rate pliers.

2 Likes

When I worked for Office Depot, the inventory scanners would stop working many times. So I decided to carry a paperclip in my wallet just in case. When the scanner breaks I use the paperclip to reset the scanner.

As for robotics, my “Trusty Paperclip” is an L-Wrench Star Drive. They are very affordable, and I can use them in emergencies. If there is a tight space that is loose during a competition, and regular means would not work, I would cut the L-Wrench in half and use plyers to tighten the screw.

7 Likes

zipties are magic.

skipping gears? ziptie the shafts together.
broken c channel? ziptie it together, good as new.

sure, your robot will be a monstrosity. But at least it will be functional.

13 Likes

Zip ties can fix anything known to man but other than that Pliers are the best for when stuff bends/ breaks (more specifically a really good set of channel locks)

4 Likes

The homies have gotten us out of many binds in quals

3 Likes

For me I’d say a pair of those vice grips. The ones with the screw that can tighten or loosen the grip. They’re very nice for lots of stuff.

6 Likes

FINGERNAILS!!!

6 Likes

shoulder screws is probably mine

2 Likes

Butter knives. They are basically pin tools that can reach in more spots.

5 Likes

Oh and I like jewelry sized screwdrivers you slip them in the middle of the pin and pop magic

3 Likes

My needle-nose pliers. They help yank out pins, because I don’t have a pin tool.

3 Likes

my lathe is big paper clip

12 Likes

I’d say my paper clip is my URT (universal repair tool). It works with every type of screw head, and any size nut I need.

What is my URT you ask?
Some say it is just destructive
But I say
In the hands of a skilled technician
It becomes a tool of beauty

Other than that I’d say instant structure (zip ties) are pretty good too

8 Likes