44833B “Wallbot”

I realize that this match video from 2/1/19 at “NERD Nation Tower Takeover” has gotten a bit more attention than anticipated. Because of this, I figured I might as well make a post on it.

Firstly, yes. This was completely intentional from the beginning of the match. And I do not claim that this idea is completely original, but my team and I did conceive it independently.

The video speaks for itself. ~6’ lift goes up, and crashes down in front of our opponents’ protected goal zone, not crossing the Inner Protected Zone.

This strategy was so effective because it was unexpected. The audio reaction during the “wallbot maneuver” is astounding. But if we were to try this for every match, it would not be as effective. For example, this was a Semifinal match. In Finals, one of the opposing robots camped the protected zone any time I was near, preventing a wall. However, this is a prime example of poeple being driven by the threat. I did enter the match ready to become a wall again, but my opponent sat there for me, taking away a little less than one robot from most of the gameplay.

Additionally, I do not reccomend this strategy to all similar robots. The fall does take a toll on the robot. While mine personally functioned well for Finals, there were obvious issues created by the wallbot maneuver. For example, one of my deploys didn’t slide all the way in autonoumous, a sign of excessive friction (which has since been fixed).

While walls can take away 2/3 of your opponent’s scoring potential, they also invite heavy defense onto your alliance. As can be seen in the video, once left without objectives to fulfill, opposing teams can take the fight to your partner, who is attempting to score you enough points to win the match.

I have a lot of respect for the teams we “wallbot-ed” in this match. The alliance likely would have won the tournament if this were a straightforward match of directly competing scores. They had been making insanely tall stacks all day, and I have no doubt they would have continued to do so. 6403A won Skills champ and a well-deserved Excellence, demonstrating the quality of thier teams.

A lot of our personal game strategy is based around game theory (figuring out what others will do in advance). The #1 seeded alliance we were playing typically utilized rainbow strategy throughout the day, simply out-cubing the opposition, as evidenced by the stack put up in the unprotected zone. There was no strong emphasis on colors, and that ultimately was why they weren’t able to blow us out of the water in that match, despite only having access to one of their three scoring locations.

Sure, wallbots seem very cheap and simple. While I did apologize for the maneuver, I would do it again. VRC is not always a competition of head-to-head score competition. There is a heavy strategy element to it as well. I enoucrage fellow teams to think outside the box, even with their own designs. I was not designed to be a wallbot, yet this video exists. There are no limits to human creativity, you just have to tap into it.

43 Likes

absolute M A D L A D

11 Likes

Lol, something similar happened to us a week ago. In quarterfinals, I knew both of our opponents had a 1 point auton, so I shortened our protected zone auton to score 2 points and then be in the perfect position to ram the stacks of 4. Right afterwards, wallbot from the opponent’s DR4B.

We still won, but I was laughing the entire time since we really had no way to counter that. Luckily, our opponent’s traybot wasn’t the best, but it was still too close for comfort.

2 Likes

My team isn’t dubbed “Got a Screw Loose” because our ideas are boring…

This post wasn’t created to show that this robot style is superior because it’s more adaptable; it is here to simply showcase a… creative… strategy.

15 Likes

My team speculated about this strategy when we had a DR4B claw. We never got to implement it into competition though because giving up towers was not viable.

Glad to see that my team is not the only dr4b with a backup plan-W.

Imagine not being able to wall and score.

-This post was made by teather gang

4 Likes

We are a fully functional dr4b capable of stacking 4 cubes on 8 and can run towers very effectively.

This is actually incredibly smart and creative. Good job man, why be a wall bot or a stacker, when you can be both? N O B O D Y was expecting that
On a more serious note I wish all teams (mine included) would take more a more creative path such as this.
@Got_a_Screw_Loose, you truly are an inspiration to us all

8 Likes

(I mean at the same time, but it’s ok, I won’t bring it up)

I had misinterpreted what you meant, I thought you were meaning being a dr4b just to be a wall.

1 Like

9 Likes

Ah yes, my team was talking to me bout that

1 Like

this strategy is a good ace for alliances to play if one of the bots is a lift bot, and they’re facing opponents that they cannot outstack. I’m a big fan of this strat, I’ve been the offensive robot partnered with the wallbotting lift quite a few times this season. it’s worked a few times. usually it doesn’t but it the lift falls well and early, it’s quite effective. great job overcoming the odds @Got_a_Screw_Loose and clapping against offensive alliances.

5 Likes

Long long time ago, in a gateway season far away, there was a 6-bar that did the same.
But it went one step further by allowing itself to tip over and made itself upright whenever the driver felt there was no longer a need for the wall.

Sad to say, I couldn’t remember the team number or which division it was playing in the worlds.

3 Likes

Out of curiosity for those who have played with / against this sort of bot, what is the best strategy you have found to succeed against them? I can think of a few likely options, but was wondering what seemed to work under the pressure of an actual match.

Also, if the opposing team chooses to push past the bot in an attempt to score and the bot is situated such that it ends up getting pushed into the inner protected zone (or ends up touching the opposing team’s bot while they are in the inner or fully in the outer zone), are refs usually requiring that they compact out of the zone or giving them a DQ or …? I see there is a Q&A up about this, just was wondering what is currently being done.

1 Like

the best way to thwart this strategy would be to have one robot defend the lift bot, not letting it wallbot, while the other robot 1v1’ed the lift’s partner. assuming the offensive alliance has better traybots (which they usually do, otherwise no reason for the other alliance to play defensively.) they 1v1 will be to the advantage of the offensive alliance.

4 Likes

This strat is what I would say would be most useful when going up agenst beter teams. I have seen simmilar startigies my self I have called it the when in doubt startgy this also seems to a start you have to be careful not to have parts of the robot that would damage the tile’s on the fall. I have seen this from the start of the year when bad robot where v’s good robots and wanted to have a improved chance of winning. This kind of I’ve got a four bar lets fall over and be a wall strat is also something you don’t want to show of to much otherwise the other teams will know when your putting cubes in the top tower you become vaunrbile to falling over.

1 Like

three things, first that was awesome!!! Second you had the wall bot blocking the area and you lost (i think), third it looked to me that you guys were in the protected zone.

they won that match by 2 points.

you can be in the outer protected zone, just not the inner

4 Likes