Beetle Robot Design. (In Autodesk Inventor)

I just wanted to share a design I created in Autodesk Inventor. I initially created this back in 2015 before I had purchased my first VEX IQ kit. Since then it had been built and the design refined.
I wanted to share this very simple design to inspire others like me who are just starting out.

The%20Bettle%20v2

Beetle v2 (GrabCAD)

6 Likes

How do you use Autodesk inventor for designing something like this? Can you please share the steps and the way you went about doing this?

Thanks for sharing the invention. It looks really cool and would be wonderful for a beginner to learn on the screen before trying it out.

no offence @madhugraju but i strongly disagree. iq kids learn hands on (boys espically) if u tell a new kid to cad something out (unless they are the designated coder) they will probably find it boring (UNLESS THERE REALLY HYPE FOR VEX)and in iq u cant cut parts so a beginner cant ruin any c-channel or anything

2 Likes

Inventor is truly not for the faint of heart. It is for engineering design and engineering drawing creation. I prefer to use it because I have been using it professionally for 20 years. I offer the design itself for beginners to build physically with their kits. As far as CAD goes, IF one wants to know Inventor, (or Fusion, SolidWorks, SolidCAD, CATIA, etc.) so they can design what ever they want from scratch, I recommend looking into a training path to do so. If you are looking to just assemble VEX IQ, SNAPCAD would likely be an easier option.

To answer your question about designing this in Inventor, I downloaded the STEP files from the VEX website and assembled it. I tried a few different combinations and iterations until I got what I felt would work. After I has purchased my first VEX IQ kit, I then built my design and tested it. I then refined it. There really is no substitute for a physical prototype. It is the only way to find and work the 'kinks out."

The next one I plan to post I call the “Klann Krab” and it utilizes the Klann mechanism. I work for a local college teaching CAD and Machine Design to students. In contrast this particular design was built first with my VEX IQ kit. The CAD will be used to document the build so I can build it again next year.

Video of the Klann Krab.

6 Likes

I do agree that most learn hands on . Some learn better in other ways and it’s always best to provide multiple means of learning opportunities so each student can excel in what ever medium that suits their learning style best. I learned to do things in CAD first. So for learners, “To each their own” and the educators, “provide every avenue so each can learn.” - Universal Design for Learning.

4 Likes

Thanks for the replies in this regard. It is good to have the hands on experience, however I would like to have the kids use the other options available so that they can figure out what works best for them. Working hands on has been a good learning experience so far, the kids have run into issues that they have managed to solve. I was hoping to have them explore the other options to see how that would work out.

Overall the end goal is to design a robot that will work as intended for the task that we need to complete.

i would say to ask them to try and reverse engineer this it is the best bot iv seen so far but if u are sure u want to use a cad program i would use this instead of inventor