Budget for 15" robot

In your experience, what would be a good budget for the 15" robot? Including V5, frame, gears, spacers, etc.
Note: We have a 3D printer and materials like G10, carbon fiber, our maximum budget for the 15" robot is 1500 dollars, It’d be enough?

If also including v5 electronics in the budget, $1500 is definitely not enough. I think all the v5 electronics (brain, controller, radio, battery, motors, and sensors) I used on my 15” robot are worth more than $1500 already. Other vex metals and hardware on my robot cost about $500 ~ $1000, so the cost of the entire robot was $2000 ~ $2500. That’s excluding 3d printing filament, pneumatics, custom metals and electronics. Those are also often used on vexu robots.

12 Likes

Thank you very much for your contribution, I suppose we will have to manage to adjust to the budget, btw happy birthday, I have seen your work and it is incredible.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t it be possible to do something like this and save money on vex stuff? SJTU VEXU 2020~2021 Change up Robot Winter Reveal - YouTube

Only if you’re planning to do VEX U. VEX VDR doesn’t allow any 3D printing I believe.

1 Like

Yep, we are going to be in VEX U

1 Like

Then you should be good to 3D print parts.

1 Like

HAPPY CAKE DAY @sarah_97963A !!! GO EAT SOME CAKE :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake:

2 Likes

Yes you could, however, you would also need the resources and access to the machines and you would have to weigh the hidden cost as well (opportunity cost etc)

1 Like

You also have to take into account time. How many manufacturing machines do you have consistent access to? If just 1, good luck trying to get anything done in any decent amount of time, I speak from experience with my single ender3 pro. Just make sure you take time into account.

4 Likes