Cabling Tips and Tricks

Something most of you probably agree with is that cabling is a nightmare. With this in mind, does anyone have any tips or tricks as to how to cable wires, organize, or even hide them?

I’ll start it off:
Tip: I always try to tie the cables with tight wraps at the corners of a C-bar to hide it and get it out of the way.

I’ve attached a few images of some things we’ve done regarding wiring. A couple things I’ve learned:

• Mount all motor controllers in one or two easy to access locations close to the cortex.
  • Use some variety of cable wrap (I don’t like split-loom, we use this instead: .)
  • Run your cable sleeve inside of C-channel then use velcro wraps to hold the cable sleeve to the c-channel.
  • Use the sticky-backed foam that vex has and stick it on either of the VEXnet port (if using extension cable.) This will prevent disconnection due to vibration.
  • When routing cables to moving parts, leave plenty of slack for the entire articulation. Also, use rubberbands to “pull” cable sleeve in the direction you want when a part is moving (to prevent entanglement.)
  • Don’t rely on the cortex “clips”, implement strain relief.

I’m sure I have more tips I could share, but I’ll leave this hear to start.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

I’ll just leave this here.
IMG_8098.PNG.jpg

While it certainly doesn’t LOOK particularly pretty, I’m preferential to braiding my wires going to or coming from similar mechanisms.

Curl your wires around a screwdriver or axle or something @6916C