Can a disabled team's robot keep driving?

If your team has received a disablement, are the robots told to stop moving by the field controllers and/or robot movement made not allowed, or are the controllers just placed on the floor?

The Definition: Disablement – A penalty applied to a Team for a rule violation. A Team that is Disabled is not allowed to operate their Robot for the remainder of the Match, and the Drive Team Members will be asked to place their controller(s) on the ground.

For example: You received a disablement, so your team placed their controllers on the ground. However, you coded your robot so after 5 seconds of inactivity an autonomous code you wrote kicks in (I’m not sure if writing an autonomous code for this would be possible but I’m just wondering if this is allowed).

I’m not sure if its possible either, but even if it was it would not be allowed. robots are disabled for concerns relating to destruction of the field, other robots, or itself, and by running an auton during disablement you would be completely missing the purpose of disablement, which is to stop moving.

13 Likes

My assumption would be that the robots stop moving completely like they do at the end of the match. I believe they would just cut off the signal of the controller from the brain. That is one of the reasons why you plug your controllers in at the beginning of the match.

4 Likes

The current field control system is very simple — all four robots receive the exact same field control signals at all times. There is no way to put one robot in the disabled state while the other three are in Autonomous or Driver Control.

If a robot is disabled, the idea is that the team places their controller on the ground and stops operating the robot. If necessary, the controller can be powered off to prevent the robot from conducting any autonomous movements.

16 Likes

My team received a disablement last year and we were told to set our controller on the ground. As far as I’m aware, we still had a signal.

2 Likes

You did.

2 Likes

A running joke with this robot

is that it couldnt be disabled. All rules that result in disablement can be broken freely. /s

The truth is Common Sense comes into play pretty quickly and the ref would start DQing you because disablement wasn’t working. Or likely not letting you put your robot on the field anymore.

8 Likes

Now hold on, what if you made the program kick into an auton after 5 seconds of not being controlled remotely? What would the refs do?

they would likely ask why your robot is still moving after you were told to disable your bot and then you would likely be dq’ed and asked to change your program.

7 Likes

That’s lame. IM, that would honestly be cool.

if your robot needs to be disabled for whatever reason, having it continue it’s destructive behavior probably won’t be cool.

5 Likes

Well, so just make sure the auton isn’t destructive… In the case of entanglement though… You could use PID or ODOM to recognize certain torques and if the auton forces the motors to go over a certain torque, have it terminate the program, but only if it is running the auton.

(I’m not a coder, so don’t hate on me if my program types are off)

if your robot is disabled, it was because having it continue to move would cause destruction. if by continuing your movements you wouldn’t be destructive, you wouldn’t have been disabled in the first place.

4 Likes

If you’ve been told to disable your robot, you had better listen, or else you will be DQed from the match entirely. If you continue to flaunt the rules, you will more than likely be kicked out of the event. Just play by the rules.

7 Likes

Any particular reason why odom is capitalized?

1 Like
1 Like

It’s very simple: turn off your controller. VEXos is meant to prevent your robot from doing anything if the VEXnet connection is lost. If you are circumventing VEXos, expect to be disqualified from the entire tournament, if not the entire season.

If that cannot be done fast enough, disabling field control and replaying the match without your robot would be the last-resort.

9 Likes

I can tell you from experience, getting disabled is bad

13 Likes

This is actually interesting to think about because if you make an auton with a vision sensor that looks for balls and scores them that would be cool. Looking for specific ball colors and using limit switches to check if a ball is loaded. But then again, might as well work on a perfect auton instead of worrying about getting disabled and practice to the point where you wont get a disablement.

1 Like

The point of disabling is that your robot does not get to continue operating. Not that it is allowed to continue operating autonomously.

The most common case for disablement in the past several years has been for getting caught in the net in Turning Point. That becomes a serious concern for damage of field elements, and I guarantee you will not have a happy head referee and event partner if your disabled robot continues to move autonomously while tangled in the net.

14 Likes