Cross bracing

Can I get a list of items needed to cross brace with stand offs on a dr4b?

And if possible can I also get a picture of how the x formation would look on the dr4b

I’ve never cross-braced a DR4B with standoffs, but I’d imagine you need:

• Shaft couplers
  • Shafts
  • Collars (remove the insert)

I’m not sure how you would link the standoffs at the intersection…maybe you could somehow drill a hole opposite of the insert thread, so you have perpendicular threads.

2 Likes

our cross braces have a nylon washer in the middle of each section. We use two 1x3 strips of aluminium which clamp the two braces together using a standoff.

Maybe you could use zip ties?

Here is a good example of a cross braced DR4B:
31178297_934296673418040_1578114818710175744_n
You screw shaft collars to one side, and use a (screw) coupler to attach the standoff to the shaft collar. To attach the standoffs to each other you can use zip ties (like in the picture).

2 Likes

Here are some closer pictures of what @CarlosStewart was talking about
20190809_190950
20190809_191131

3 Likes

Thank you very much everyone. I understand how it works now and what I need

1 Like

Can you send me some pdf file related to tat? @CarlosStewart

Isn’t that a DR8B? Is that connection strong?

The picture I posted was not mine, so I don’t know how sturdy it is, but it looks like a four bar on the bottom, and a six bar on top.

So in that case would it still be a DR4B?

Technically its a reverse 4 bar 6 bar
also @CarCar i see u’ve been mentioning rd8bs alot. This is what an 8 bar looks like:
209795_orig
so a rd8b would have 2 of these on one top of the other.

1 Like

wait is a 4 Bar + a reversed 6 bar

You can say its a DR5B (average lol)

You probably don’t want to make it more confusing.

1 Like

Even though cross bracing is really useful, I would also suggest adding torsion blockers. Torsion blockers are when you place C-Channels vertically across arms of a DR4B with spacer screw connections. If you are unsure of what I mean you can see a torsion blocker a bit clearer on Delta IV cap boi (it’s silver):
image image
The wider the C-Channel used, the more torsion is blocked on the lift and it does its job reallly well.

1 Like

Are you refering to tension?

no. torsion is describing the twisting, which is when the two sides of the lift is unequal, they apply a twisting force on the shaft (if they are connected together). this is why the “X” formation of the bracing will help resist this and then balance the two sides.

1 Like

I would say instead of using the regular axle collars use the high strength axle collars with green inserts in them. So first screw the collar into the rd4b’s bar that u wanna cross brace on both sides using the green inserts, and then put a screw through the side thats supposed to tighten the collar around the axle and a standoff on the side thats supposed to be the nut. way cleaner than regular collar imo.

Personally I think it looks cleaner to use steel shaft collars because they are smaller and match the c-channels in color.