Cube Detection

What’s up,
I was just wondering what sensors were best for cube detection. As of right now I am trying to decide between a light and line sensor do you guys have any experience/ideas of which would work best?

1 Like

Im not sure how you could use a line sensor, but I can see a light sensor being used. Unless you can’t use it, a vision sensor would be best.

2 Likes

Is this for auton or for helping out with driver controlled?

1 Like

Vision sensor is the best, it will detect size and color.

Light sensor without bright light source is useless for this.

Line sensor has its own infrared led. It works best <0.5" from the cube.
But you have to shield it from direct exposure or you are screwed: Sacramento State Management & Venue Problems

Finally, if all you need is to detect if cube is inside the robot, then limit switch is you most reliable friend.

6 Likes

I basically want to detect where a cube is in our siderollers for automation purposes in autonomous and driver control. But i’m not sure whether a vision sensor would do this because it doesn’t measure distance. Maybe ultrasonic?

1 Like

Definitely use either line sensor, if you can shield it well, or better, a limit switch.

If you look at Sacramento - a lot of really good teams were royally screwed because of relying on line sensors or anything that depends on the outside light level.

If you want to detect where a cube is within your rollers, I would suggest getting the rpm of both sides. If one side has more rpm than the other then that means the cube is shifted one direction horizontally. If you want to detect verical of the cube then you can possibly figure out a way to use an ultrasonic to get the distance of the cube up the tray (likely by having the ultrasonic stick up from the lexan facing forward, and is rubber banded so it will fold down flush into the lexan so cubes can continue riding the lexan up).

6 Likes

if you want to detect if there is a cube in your rollers, line followers or limit switches underneath your intake rollers could be a good choice. but if you want to detect how many cubes you have, that is a lot more difficult. you would need a visor sensor that can see your entire tray and there is no easy way to do that. There is also not a very good to track the contour of the cubes to count them individually.

2 Likes

You could use line trackers in your tray at various points… we have tested this and it seems effective in a variety of lighting situations

1 Like

You could also use limit switches at varying stages

3 Likes

Yea we did consider that but we had a few issues… Mainly not being able to find a appropriate mounting point for the sensor

The idea is to be able to track where exactly the bottom cube is in the rollers so we can effectively intake up or down when we’re depositing cubes into zones and be more reliable.

2 Likes

It is very interesting idea to compare intake motor rpm, I got to try it.

Ultrasonic tho is iffy. Cube’s sides are all broken and at weird angles. Ultrasonic will be all over the place.

The only good way to use ultrasonic there is to stick it on the side and put flat piece of lexan on the opposite side. If you get good reading then nothing is in between.

If you wanted to measure distance from the top of the tray to the nearest cube, I don’t know, it may work.

3 Likes

At first, I was thinking about using a bumper switch, but @Railgunawesome had a great idea where you use limit switches on the side of whatever you are using to hold cubes.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.