Dead V5 Motors

Just wondering what are various teams’ experiences with the V5 motors and their reliability. So far we’ve had about 4 to 6 V5 motors die on us. We either get the no red light issue (doesn’t show up on brain), or we have the slow blinking red issue (shows up as a device on the brain but can’t manually increase the spin/rpm). We have plugged them into different ports, used different wires, but all are dead.

Have other teams encountered these issues and have experience on ways to fix the motors? We are wondering if there’s something we’re doing wrong since so many have died. This is our team’s first year in VRC, so there may be some rookie mistakes our team is making.

We have our state championships coming up in a couple of weeks and we are in a bad situation where we have no spare motors… we are actually short on motors now. The V5 motors have been out of stock all season, so we may have to ask some local teams if they have any spares to lend or sell to us.

1 Like

I’ve found that custom cables are a big deal on motor failures. If you have them, you might want to check them out. Or test with a VEX made cable,

Not sure how you’ll make out with borrowing motors, lots of teams are down to their last 1-2 spare.

We are using the Vex made cables. Another local team is lending us a spare motor, so we have the needed number of motors on the robot… it has been suggested that static could be the issue. Any suggestions on a good anti-static spray to purchase? searched around on the forums, but the links from posts years ago no longer work.

https://www.aclstaticide.com/products/heavy-duty-staticide

This is what I use and it works really well from my experience, haven’t had ports blow out since we began using it.

2 Likes

Same we burned out 7 brain ports and a motor and never had an issue once we used that.

1 Like

We burned two motors out in three days. We’re dying here. There’s 4 motors left and our team isn’t allowed to get any more (unless some sister teams doesn’t qualify for states in our team, which I doubt will happen because 7121A and 7121D are actually good teams, and 7121E is already in).

Thanks for the staticide link @axharrell04. Just bought some. Sorry to hear about your motors burning out, too, @UvuvwevweOnyetenye. Hopefully, you are able to get the needed motors!

1 Like

Here’s where we buy our’s from (the best price, with free shipping over $75): Acl Staticide 2005 $16.31 AntiStatic Liquid, Heavy Duty, 1 Quart | Zoro.com
We have a “quart” bottle for each of our fields, and buy gallon bottles to refill the quarts.

If you sign up for Zoro’s email, you might get an additional 10% off coupon.

1 Like

We have a small bin’s worth of dead motors. If anybody has a website where we can fix them or trade them anything we will be so grateful.

Having read other threads, I’m wondering if the changes vex has made are affecting motor burnout. Frankly, I’m just waiting for their official news release. We have not had any motors burn out this year, and only a few in the past. We have a full toolbox of motors, maybe 40 of them, and several of our teams already have multiple robots. I think that this may be due to the fact that we have had them for years, so they are of the older production version. I don’t know. We’ll see what vex says.

2 Likes

In my VEX career, I have burned out 0 V5 motors. While I was in middle school, there were two teams in TP and one in TT that used V5. Somehow they managed to burn out about 20 V5 motors.

1 Like