Did it count?

Did it count at the last second? It determines the champ!

2 Likes

matches are scored after all robots and objects come to rest, not exactly when the timer ends, so yes, whatever happened at the end there (I’m not in iq so I don’t know how pitching in is played) does count.

When it’s over, it’s over. Scores will be calculated for all Matches immediately after the Match is complete, and once all Robots and Balls on the Field come to rest.

1 Like

In IQ the bots can continue after the buzzer, so any action that bots take after the match would not count. The ref has to watch and determine if it happens after the buzzer.

There’s no disablement built in to the field control? that must get confusing at times.

Well, clearly I don’t really know what I’m talking about from my vrc perspective, I’d assumed that the “after all objects come to rest” clause would be treated the same way in both programs but I guess not.

2 Likes

Quite true… But I can set up 95% of a 6 field IQ event in one class period.

There is less to watch for as well. Two bots only on a smaller field. With the bots hanging on the opposite sides of the field that will get a little tricky.

3 Likes

In 2019 I could set up 100% of a six field event in a class period. Extra 12’ is a pain with more tables and setting the tiles.

And that lone ball in the corner does count.

2 Likes

If I’m within 5% of 2019 Foster I would call that a great success! :slight_smile: I’m actually looking into building a few of those rolling tables from Virus!

They didn’t end up counting it, but I really like the crowd reaction. That ball seemed like it needed to be in the corral…

5 Likes

I wouldn’t count it because the buzzer started before they shot the ball. So since they shot the ball after the buzzer, it doesn’t count. But because you aren’t allowed to look at match replays because you’re a referee, it’d be close. If they had shot it before the buzzer, it would count because it’s when the game object comes to rest though.

5 Likes

I’m with @FRC973, the practical “disablement” in IQ is the beginning of the buzzer like VRC, in other games this was tough to gauge as a ref (especially next level😖). So yes, since the hall was shot after time had expired, the ball should be seen as “still inside the robot” so to speak.
[A convoluted way to say “I agree” but I wanted to give my input too]

6 Likes

It all depends on what the ref saw at the time. Nothing is ever changed after the fact

3 Likes

For an entire day they have been getting the 3-2-1-stop and the buzzer. They all know the rules. I look at is the shot went off at the buzzer, it rolled into a bad place.

It will be a good lesson learned for teams, that last second shot may not work out well.

3 Likes

This is a tricky one. G12 of course says:

When it’s over, it’s over. Scores will be calculated for all Matches immediately after the Match is complete, and once all Robots and Balls on the Field come to rest.

But G12.c says:

Any Scoring which takes place after the Match due to Robots continuing to move will not count.

So is it considered “scoring” when you decrease your score, or only if you increase your score? I am kind of in the camp of if you continue after the buzzer, you can’t get any more points, but if your actions cause you to lose points, well, lesson learned.

1 Like

I think the consensus is that it should not count, but you had better hope the judge saw it like you see it. This is putting a big “ask” on the judge for a quick timing score/descore at the end of the match. If you are inaccurate in your shooting, you may want to hold fire until your shots are more reliable.

1 Like

The judges were probably busy doing interviews, and don’t particularly care about any particular match scores. However, in my experience as a certified referee for IQ over the past several years, the end-of-match conditions are something we watch pretty carefully every year because there is not a match controller.

8 Likes

Noted.
20char for Referees