Does everything have to be symetrical?

I have a question. Does everything you build (if it has 2 sides) have to be symmetrical???

Is this about programming? If not, probably change the category. To answer your question (provided it is about building), it does not have to be symmetrical, but in many cases (such as lifts and drives) it is useful for things to be symmetrical.

oh ok thanks,…

No from a technical point of view, yes from a human point of view

4 Likes

You want your weight to be evenly distributed or else your turns and driving will get kinda wonky, like left side driving faster than right side.

2 Likes

Not really, just try not to shift the center of mass too far from your point of rotation

And that’s y u use some godly PID

1 Like

May I ask what PID is? I’m confused

PID is a method of coding that very accurately controls motors to move at a designated velocity or a designated position etc.
Edit: There are lots of threads discussing pid on the forum, a quick search will show lots of information.

1 Like

P= proportional; I= Integral; D= Derivative… it’s a control loop. Data is fed into the program, checked against set points, analyzed for error and then corrected… it’s like a thermostat the checks the temp of your house and compares this to what you set it at and turns on the heat or AC.

1 Like

Except in a car…we like to have the driver on the left (or the right), rather than in the center. And under the hood, on front wheel drive cars, the engine is sideways (transverse) so it isn’t symmetrical anymore either…but when this happens, you can determine the center-of-mass of the non-symmetrical object and locate that in the center. But if you’ve ever seen a Nissan Cube…it drives most engineers nuts looking at the back window.

1 Like

I meant more the looks by human point of view

1 Like

Yes, it looks better and makes the drive train motors share the same amount of work. It also makes it easier to lift the robot (one arm will not be more or less tired than the other).

2 Likes