Error -1073741701, make process closed with exit code : 2

I continuously got this error:

build for platform vexv5
“CXX src/main.cpp”
make: *** [vex/mkrules.mk:13: build/src/main.o] Error -1073741701
[error]: make process closed with exit code : 2

After asking for help on the vex discord, I was told to also edit the makefile and setting VERBOSE to 1. This is the result:

[info]: Saving Project …
[info]: Project saved!
windows build for platform vexv5
md “build/src” 2> nul || :
“CXX src/main.cpp”
clang -target thumbv7-none-eabi -fshort-enums -Wno-unknown-attributes -U__INT32_TYPE__ -U__UINT32_TYPE__ -D__INT32_TYPE__=long -D__UINT32_TYPE__=‘unsigned long’ -march=armv7-a -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp -Os -Wall -Werror=return-type -fno-rtti -fno-threadsafe-statics -fno-exceptions -std=gnu++11 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -DVexV5 -Iinclude -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\VEX Robotics\VEXcode Pro V5\sdk/vexv5/include" -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\VEX Robotics\VEXcode Pro V5\sdk/vexv5/clang/8.0.0/include" -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\VEX Robotics\VEXcode Pro V5\sdk/vexv5/gcc/include" -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\VEX Robotics\VEXcode Pro V5\sdk/vexv5/gcc/include/c++/4.9.3" -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\VEX Robotics\VEXcode Pro V5\sdk/vexv5/gcc/include/c++/4.9.3/arm-none-eabi/armv7-ar/thumb" -c -o build/src/main.o src/main.cpp

Still have not fixed. Any help?

any chance you are using Windows 11 ?
did this just stop working ? does a new project build ?

2 Likes

Yes, I am using windows 11 Version 21H2

No, it stopped building a few days ago, but i have no clue what caused this

No, a new project does not build at all. I tested this on another computer by sending them a zip of the code and it works fine for them but doesn’t work for me.

Try deleting and re-downloading VEXCode. Make sure you save your code.

I tried this to no avail :frowning:

Still no fixes :frowning:
20 char

Having the same issue, the Discord couldn’t help me so I’m emailing vex support to see if they can help find a fix. Seriously need this fixed so I can program my robot, I don’t want to use the Vexcode v5 without C++ and its crazy light mode theme, I’m at a loss right now.

1 Like

I’ve gotten errors before that I just couldn’t find a normal fix for, so what I did was create a new project with the competition template and paste in the auton, driver control, variables, etc. into the new project one by one and checking for errors as you go.

This has worked for me every time because you either find where the problem is in your code, or there was some other problem with the other project that wasn’t carried over to this one

1 Like

Well the thing is with this error is that it isn’t normal, me and OP have both created entirely new projects with absolutely no changes and have tried to build them to no avail, we’ve also completely wiped Vexcode V5 Pro from our computers and reinstalled it to see the same error when building the code.

Are you also running windows 11 ?

If so, which build and is this on an officially support PC ?

can you set VERBOSE=1 in the makefile and paste output here.

can you also verify that clang actually runs by opening a command prompt and issuing

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VEX Robotics\VEXcode Pro V5\toolchain\vexv5\win32\clang\bin\clang.exe" --version

My understanding is that the VEXcode team has tried to reproduce this error under windows 11 and everything works for them, so we really have no idea what the problem is other than it’s something specific to certain versions of the OS and/or hardware it’s installed on.

I would assume that if VEXcode V5 pro fails, then VEXcode would also, it’s an identical toolchain.

6 Likes

Yeah of course! Currently I’m at work and I’ll be out in around 2 to 2 and a half hours from now, I apologize for having to make you wait but I don’t have the laptop on me. But what I can do is tell you some computer details right now, I have a Lenovo Flex 5 with an Amd cpu, windows 11, and I’ve had it for at least a month. So it’s fairly brand spanking new. It’s completely up to date on every possible driver and os updates (I did those around 5 hours ago) and that’s about as much as I can remember without repeating myself.

Alright sorry for the wait (I kinda forgot), here are your answers in order!

1. Yes I am running windows

2. image

3. Pasted verbose output below:

windows build for platform vexv5
md “build/src” 2> nul || :
“CXX src/main.cpp”
clang -target thumbv7-none-eabi -fshort-enums -Wno-unknown-attributes -U__INT32_TYPE__ -U__UINT32_TYPE__ -D__INT32_TYPE__=long -D__UINT32_TYPE__=‘unsigned long’ -march=armv7-a -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp -Os -Wall -Werror=return-type -fno-rtti -fno-threadsafe-statics -fno-exceptions -std=gnu++11 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -DVexV5 -Iinclude -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\VEX Robotics\VEXcode Pro V5\sdk/vexv5/include" -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\VEX Robotics\VEXcode Pro V5\sdk/vexv5/clang/8.0.0/include" -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\VEX Robotics\VEXcode Pro V5\sdk/vexv5/gcc/include" -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\VEX Robotics\VEXcode Pro V5\sdk/vexv5/gcc/include/c++/4.9.3" -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\VEX Robotics\VEXcode Pro V5\sdk/vexv5/gcc/include/c++/4.9.3/arm-none-eabi/armv7-ar/thumb" -c -o build/src/main.o src/main.cpp

1. Result of trying? I dunno it was being on and off so I took this and ran:

There you go! Hope any of that helps in the search for ending this!

ok, that’s useful and more or less confirms what I suspected. clang (the compiler VEXcode uses) does not run due to missing dll or something like that, most likely it’s missing windows C++ runtime. open up “apps and features” and have a look at what is installed, my windows 10 box has all these but IIRC the important one is the 2015-2019 redistributable.

there are usually two versions, one x86 and one x64, if either is missing you could perhaps try reinstalling from here.

in addition, check in the c:\Windows\System32 and SysWOW64 folders for the vcruntime140.dll file, my guess is that’s the one that’s missing.

5 Likes

Okay looks we’re getting somewhere! I really hope this fixes it!
My email to vex was responded too and we fixed that error by installing the latest version of Microsoft C++, but now this specific error is back and still persists so I’m glad we’re making headroom!
Here are all my C++ versions as well as the one you have mentioned [UPDATED from original]

Then you asked me to check for the vcruntime140.dll files in the (C:) drive, first was in System32 which is confirmed to exist:

Then in SysWOW64 which also exists after installing the (x86) 2015-2020 C++ Redistributable!

I’m going to completely wipe Vex Robotics from my computer, then perform a restart, and attempt to install and generate a new project, and finally (hopefully) build the project with no changes to it.

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!
the-office-its-happening-gif-5

OMG! THANK YOU!! IT’S FIXED!! AND ALL THANKS TO YOUR WORK!! THANK YOU!!!

3 Likes