Flywheel Racket

Does anyone have any tested builds of a compact racketing system. This would help a lot considering my team is going through motors like crazy with our flywheel design.

Ratchet I believe and here’s Rex’s video. Pretty common design. http://youtu.be/BceXqqF3ONA

Firstly, here are what I think are the two best options:
1727B’s 84 tooth gear mod
On wheel alternative(In action)
Secondly, are you sure that a ratchet would stop you from burning our motors? We had a flywheel for the first 4 months, and we never damaged any motors as far as I could tell. Do you have pictures of you flywheel?

Edit: @Zeus8686K beat me to it :frowning:

This is the racketing system which our team used on our flywheel launcher. We couldn’t find another racketing system for a 60 tooth high strength gear so we came up with this one on our own. It worked very well for our flywheel. When the central shaft is turned in one direction, the 12 tooth metal pinion spins each of the other two metal pinions and they clamp down on the two zip-ties. When it is turned in the other direction, they push the zip-ties outward and it freely coasts.

That’s ingenious!
I haven’t been able to figure out a way to make one out of an gears smaller than the 84T ones.
Does it ever get the problem of the zap strap slipping out of position, or getting jammed in the gears?
I hope that you wouldn’t mind If I take that idea.

We have since changed our design to a double puncher, but while we were using this racketing design it never had issues with breaking or getting jammed anywhere. It would be great if you used this idea.

It looks so clean and simple as well! Very nice.
I have been trying to come up with a 60 tooth ratchet for the last week. (Okay, I maybe spent an hour on it) I had other things to do. Our new flywheel uses a 1:15 ratio and thus requires the use of 60 tooth instead of 84, but I would love to still have a ratchet.
If I use your design and do a reveal then I’ll give you credit. :wink:

I just have to point out that we saw this robot over the weekend at our state competition and it scored 280 in robot skills. Their double puncher is amazing! Nice job 3211H, The BeatBotz!

I don’t quite understand how the ratchet attached to the wheel can be created. How is the pawl attached to the wheel?

At about 2:50 in the vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-YNZEYdv8U

I’ve got one for a 60 tooth. It’s a little more compact, but yours seems more reliable. It’s like the 1727 one, but smaller and with elastics. It’s on the robot right now, but I’ll take some pictures when I can, probably tomorrow.

We are planning to do a bit of a brainstorming ratchet inventing session tonight. (Trying not to use other people’s designs )Hopefully we get some good results. I will post pictures if all works out well. I have been wanting to have a really tight ratchet, so it slows down faster when we change speeds.

I understand Team 62’s ratchet and pawl, but I don’t get how the ratchet and pawl here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_TFwXdik1s) works.

Oh.

Looks like their using round inserts in the wheel to let it spin freely when not engaged, in the same manner as team 62’s ratchet.

Wow, this is an incredible design.

Lol I think I am not communicating this very well. I do not understand how the pawl in this video is attached to the wheel. There seems to be a screw but there is no hole for the screw on the 5" wheel. Therefore, it must be drilled, but I am not sure how one could do it accurately enough that the pawl works as intended

I see what you mean… It’s a tad odd. 5" wheels do have little slits in them, which would be used to guide for a screw, (even without a drill) that’s firmly pressed into it while being turned with an allen key. I haven’t tried it though, he probably just drilled it. Although, its on the bit without the slit, and it looks to narrow for a screw… Maybe its just barely wide enough…

My team uses the same design shown in the video. We originally measured the correct spacing of where we wanted to locate the paw. To measure the spacing we placed the ratchet on the wheel axle and the paw in the correct position along the spoke of the wheel. We marked and drilled with a drill press. We drilled a hole the size of a motor screw.
Does that help?

Some teams don’t think it’s safe for your motors to be turned manually.