I am fairly new to python and use the standard VEXcode to write code. Should I switch to visual studio code? Do you have any templates or discord servers that you recommend that I join? Should I learn c++ over the summer? I am coming off of a season where we went to worlds and I am going into 8th grade.
you should use Visual Studio Code and PROS by Purdue to code and install Lemlib as a template to code. After you install the PROS extension on VS, look at the Lemlib Documentation tutorials to figure out how to set up PID and ODOM. Also, just so you know, PROS and Lemlib are only for C++, which I completely learned in like a month. It is super easy to set up PID and Odometry with Lemlib, that I think I could code an entire robot to drive in about 3 days.
Most code used for vex robotics only requires basic C++. PROS is generally preferred over vexcode due to its better api and more open source nature. You can also check out JAR template (for vexcode) and Ez template (for PROS), but these are usually harder compared to Lemlib. It is also important to understand how PID and odometry work before using this libraries. Also, do you have any experience in any other programming language? I would highly recommend that you have at least used block code before using C++.
While templates are an option, I did find it rewarding to first code and tune a PID (in any language) myself. Here is a starter: https://www.vexforum.com/uploads/short-url/buexv3XI4CflyuDzkxC9wNzTOg4.pdf
Yes I also found it quite useful to first code a PID and odometry myself, to ensure that you fully understand the logic. After you get used to python, you can then switch to C++.