I made a walking VEX robot

70 Likes

That is so cool!!!

3 Likes

Is it driver control or autonomous? I always wanted to make something like this but never had the time to.

1 Like

now mount a flywheel and expansion mech on it and take it to a competition

14 Likes

This is controlled by a remote. The program is around 700 lines just to translate “go forward at 63% speed” into motor movement.

1 Like

It’s only a little bit out of size. In the Endgame I could just make it do the splits lol

2 Likes

That’s amazing! It’s like watching the first prototype of the Boston Dynamics bots. Nicely done. Now you just need to put it to some dance music!

Robot on,
Andy

3 Likes

that thign walks in the most unsettling way, yet i absolutely love it. wack.

2 Likes

Could you possibly share the code so people who want to build one but don’t have much time to program could try it?

2 Likes

LOL, if you’re crazy enough to try it then I’ll save you some insanity by sharing the code. With this program you can command it forward, backwards, and turning. It doesn’t factor in orientation so it won’t work on rugged terrain. Please share any videos you make of it. Despite all the optimisations, my computer frame rate dropped to 4FPS when running the code.

2 Likes

Here is another video of the robot. It’s a bit more stable and you can also see it turning.
(2) Gizmo Test #2 - YouTube

2 Likes

thats genuinely pretty cool. good job

Mom, can we have

Mom: we have that at home.

At home:

Summary

Not discrediting what you built, it is very cool.

15 Likes

I read THE CODE! Great work! Not only wasn’t I expecting to see 300 variables defined for each leg, but there were 9 step functions having them all repeated in the globals block! Such typing dedication… My head is still exploding!

:exploding_head:

I’m gonna start a chnge.org petition for @3204E to learn data arrays, because, I feel, we are one character typo away from the algorithmic reality collapse!

10 Likes

confession: I used VEX code blocks

2 Likes

When designing the idea that was the exact reference photo I used :b

This is what the program looked like to me:

6 Likes

This is actual insanity, good job!

1 Like

The walker has been dismantled, but it’d be cool to keep it and teach is some dance moves.
@AndySchaafs

1 Like

This is my second year competing in V5 and I still use blocks. It’s not necessarily a bad thing, not everyone has the time to learn a coding language on top of building their bot, so I’m more impressed that you even figured out a method for programming it. Great job!

1 Like