Ideas for a intake system

What is your opinion on the quickest way to feed balls into a robot. I am planning to build an arm for certain reasons. One reason is I can block robots and another is that I can knock down the higher positioned footballs. I don’t see it any other way. Is this my best bet?

I really do like the New Zealand’s teams and their shovel concept. They could pick up multiple balls at once and they combine it with a quick dump and holonomic drive system. Adding all those factors and you get yourself a pretty mean machine :stuck_out_tongue:

check out the pics from thw washington jump start thread too!
there were pretty sweet machines out there ^^

The conveyer system you guys had was a lot more effective for picking stray balls up. Shovels are generally useless when they’re not against a wall. Conveyers are probably a major advantage in autonomous.

You make it sound like it’s hard to get a ball up against a wall in this game? And with most shovel robots implementing Holonomic Drivetrains, I think the claws have the advantage over any conveyors.

Instead of course if you’re in programming skills. For shovels it is extremely difficult to program an autonomous that can beat a successfully implemented conveyor bot.

For most of driver controlled mode you’ll be up against the wall, so both shovel and conveyer would work fine. For programming challenge, a conveyer would be ideal.

As long as you have an intake system that can pick up stuff, I think dumping is a more crucial issue. An amazing intake system is no good if you can’t get the balls over.

If you ask me, small claws = chopsticks. However there was a very good claw robot at the Washington JumpStart competition. Their driver was very good. I guess that what it really comes down to.

Or you could come up with a shovel that is able to lift up the balls without pinning them against a wall;)

10Q, 10V, and 254A…

254A immediately comes to mind. :smiley:

I haven’t seen any 10(n) teams yet, so I can’t really say much about them.

10Q (417 last year) has a really nice intake system, but at the Redmond Jump Start tournament their storage tray was too narrow and the footballs tended to jam. This will be fixed for Gladstone on Dec. 12 and I expect it to work much better.

10V is an all-middle-school all-girls team that had a simple tray-with-feed-wheels at Redmond on Nov. 7. It will be thoroughly reworked for Gladstone, where they could surprise a lot of older teams. They have always been on the right track, but they are still learning about VEX.

10A (half of last year’s 419), 10B, 10C, 10E, and 10X (the other half of 419 from last year) are dumpers – some are fork lifts, some use belts.

10D is going defensive.

10Z is our only catapult robot (which they built without seeing any others on the Internet). 10Z was 418 last year.

And 575 is doing something different. :slight_smile:

Is this kinda like the Cheesy Poofs? I was looking at their robot youtube and it worries me that it can’t hold as many balls as a bucket would. I also have no idea how they fling the balls over.

How well does it block or tip footballs on the trees?

Fork lift and belts, can they pick up more than one at a time, and can they pick up in the middle of the field (not against the wall)?

I’m assuming a catapult can only fling one at a time? Can this potentially fling over robots trying to block?

I’m looking forward to seeing 575’s design :wink:

10Q has been using a 4-bar link to raise their ball hopper rather than a pivot like 254A. The Poofs use a flipper to kick balls out of their hopper, apparently using a pneumatic cylinder. (Haven’t seen it in person, just in video.) The Poofs “A” robot is just a really fast scorer. Rather than picking up several balls and then dumping, they pick up two then dumpfling then, then go for two more. It sounds limiting, but it’s not. It’s all about balls-per-minute for robots like Poofs A.

Most fork lift robots (ours included) require something to hold the ball in place – either another robot, the walls, or balls. We have some teams using belts because of their ability to pick up balls that can roll out of the way.

Right now the 10Z gang is just trying to get their arm to pull back and lock down properly. I think they will deal with the fine points later. The two best catapults I’ve seen online can fling two medium balls.

Me too.

Well, it would seem like ALL of the videos for Jump Start Tourney are up on youtube, as well as this excellent gallery.

We just competed yesterday in Toronto. A good majority of the robots had incorportated shovels as their pick-up system. Reason being is probably that using shovels can pick-up a good number of balls at one time. Some of the robots did use conveyers, but it was obvisously not as efficient as the robots with the shovel. However, I do recall very well that there was a very, very tiny robot, that literally was picking up the orange football one at a time but was doing it at a incredible speed. It’s all about efficiency, if you can make conveyers in your robot picking up the balls more efficient than you would with a shovel, than use conveyers.
The #1 team used fork lift for intake, and it was fork-lifting pretty **** fast, there is a reason that they are #1.

any pics?
vids?
i would love to see the fork lift and the tiny robot :wink:

Unfortunately I don’t recall seeing anybody filming the competition, but i’m sure there were pictures taken. It’s from team 288A ? After seeing the speed of the robots from competitions taken in other places, I’m almost 100% sure that team 288A will go into the world finals. It’s a perfect definition of efficiency demonstrated by a robot.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Having seen the Cheesy Poofs A bot in action at Pan Pacific, I can say that that thing is intimidating. They went 1v2 against 254C–their own team–and another good robot and won by 50. The thing is a tank drive, but it’s almost completely impossible to wall because of the way their dump mechanism launches balls over their opponents.

And there are a lot of shovels that can pick up without walls. Prongs seem to be a prevalent method.

Overall the Poof’s design is well thought out and well build. Compared to the similar designs of many qualified teams, the poofs stand out (not to mention that the are super fun to watch). The catapult-esqe part of the bot seems to give them an edge, but they will need to try really hard to beat 368… Especially since 368’s E bot has already won 3 worlds qualifying awards (plus the two skills challenges today at PanPacific).