Indexer vs Extra Flywheel Motor

Currently my team has an extra motor for our ball system on the flywheel bot we’re testing and we were wondering whether it would be better to use that motor for an indexer or for an extra motor on the flywheel. Our goal is to optimize fire rate while still maintaining a 12 foot range. Does anybody have any experience with one being better than the other?

How many motors are you running on your flywheel? What ratio? What internal gearing?

Since we only can hold 2 balls at once this year, IMO an indexer is not nearly as useful as in past years. If you have an odd motor with the cortex system you may be able to justify it by making it spin really fast (essentially making it a pre-flywheel). With V5 you’re already low on motors so I’d just throw it on the flywheel or make a pusher or something else.

We’re planning on running 1400-1800 rpm (depending on what internal gearboxes we get for v5) to start once we get our v5. Right now we for sure have one motor for intake one for flywheel, we’re debating on adding an indexer or adding an extra motor to the flywheel.

If I’m getting your distribution right, and correct me if I’m wrong, it’s 4 base, 1 flywheel, 1 conveyor / intake, and 1 descorer? If so, I have a suggestion I could dm you that would allow you to do both :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, that’s our motor distribution, and sure, we’d be interested in hearing said suggestion.

I have thought of making a one motor feeder and indexer, im not entirely sure the practicality of it, but I know that it is possible to do. If you want to know more about how this would be accomplished, just @ me on this thread and I can respond with s’more info.

Could someone explain to me how exactly an indexer mechanism works?

An indexer keeps the balls from entering the flywheel until you’re ready to shoot. This makes driving and autonomous easier and allows your flywheel to spin all match without constantly speeding up and slowing down.

Sure! One easy way to do it is to gear the chain and the intake roller opposite directions, as the BNS and 6007 RI3D team did. Here’s how that works.

The other way to do it- the way I’m doing it- is a little more complicated. You might be able to find it on youtube if you search hard enough, but I’d prefer not to give away all my secrets just yet :slight_smile:

Hope this helps!