Is Robot Mesh Studio still a viable V5 programming environment?

Hi, does anybody know if RMS is still being worked on / supported? Looks like things slowed down there, answers to their forum questions are very rare and very late. With VexCode being mature now and PROS being PROS (whatever that means) is RMS still a contender? They had immense potential with their cloud interface and the Mimic. However, they effectively butchered Mimic by trying to make it low end Chromebook friendly, parts don’t go together anymore and it is difficult to work with cubes pretending they are motors, gears and parts. Also they seem to not have support for new sensors like the GPS camera which makes me wonder what else is missing that might potentially shave a team’s edge in competition. Not bashing RMS, I’m sure it is still an awesome, awesome teaching tool and it probably has its niche applications elsewhere, I am simply asking if it can still be used at full V5 potential in a VRC competition setting beyond the very basic (start a motor / flap an arm). What is your opinion? Thanks.

1 Like

Just for the record you can recategorize your own posts if you need to, no need to make another topic.

1 Like

Yup, got it thanks. I panicked and got tunnel vision when I saw I landed in the IQ tech support place lol.

I have been using robot mesh for a couple of years and it’s been pretty good. I was able to program max skills last year using it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ-K5lsEdyE
It has complex vision tracking a movement functions and I didn’t have many problems with all that. I don’t use mimic, but I can say that it’s annoying my GPS sensor is currently a piece of decor on my bot due to them not adding support. I did reach out to Sam from RMS and he said they should be adding support pretty soon so other than that I’m happy with RMS.

3 Likes

Watched video. Impressive skills auton. Congratulations! And thanks for the feedback.

PROS has support for GPS and will soon have vexlink support as well. We’re in the midst of the early season craziness and training new devs right now :slight_smile: . It might be worthwhile to switch over and try it out, you might learn a good amount more c++ through that.

3 Likes

If RMS is the desktop version, then yes it’s a serious competition platform. We are using it for all sorts of automatic functions. Also managed to program a block-based PID control. (I had a post & youtube video of it up a few months ago).

I do find the lack of supporting the new 3 axis gyro a bit of a problem. Hopefully they will issue an upgrade before we need to use the gyro.

1 Like

@turbodog: The cloud (web-based) version does support the new IMU (3 axis gyro). Desktop has not been updated in a while, we just gave up on it. And still no GPS camera support.

The lack of being able to transfer projects between desktop/web versions and being able to export/save project for long term reference is keeping all our teams on desktop version.