Making a vex-via like app for fun, what should I add?

Pretty self explanatory. I am using the robot events api to make an ios/android app that works similar to apps like vex via and robo scout but with more features. I’m only about 10% done, but I would like suggestions and what people want before I get too far in. Thanks!

I don’t know if this would be possible with the robotevents api but it would be nice to be able to tell if a team was dq’ed in a qual match

Love this idea, I will use when it comes out! Maybe add a section that describes matches in more detail, like how many blocks scored and how many goals taken control of. I also like @60_Percent_C_Channel’s idea of showing if a team was dq’ed. If there is a webcast, maybe have a live feed of a competition (if you’re able to do that), that would be cool. I hope this gives some cool ideas! :smiling_face_with_sunglasses:

The API does give a “sitting” response, but it’s always returning false for me. I checked some of my own matches where I know an alliance got DQed and it still read false. I’m trying to fix it right now, and I should hopefully have some DQ indicator by launch.

This is definitely not in the API, but my idea is for teams to submit a note of scoring that can be included in the match info.

This seems amazing, please notify me when you are able to make this app, I would definitely use this.
For features, I recommend you just add all of the main key features of Vex Via, but here are some ideas I came up with:

  • An integration of the game manual that is SEARCHABLE, like this for example
  • A showcase template thing. I know this sounds weird and kind of pointless, but sort of something that you can save on your phone or on the app that lets you showcase stuff, like for example, you could save a diagram of your autonomous route so that you can show an alliance instead of trying to explain it by mouth
  • features like team-specific win probability based on match schedule and historical performance, or visual data representations would be really nice to have and be useful for scouting
  • Allow users to select two or more teams and see a side-by-side comparison of their key statistics (average score, driver skill rating, etc.)
  • A tournament mode like interface similar to the one in the app Elapse
  • In app team messaging - this is probably useless and not needed, but maybe having one place where you can share scouting notes, strategies, etc. with each other in one spot would maybe be useful
  • A score counter, not necessarily for matches but just in general would be nice
  • Quick-access scouting cards: When the next match alert pops up, immediately display a mini-scouting card for the two alliance partners and two opponents (pulled from just general stats and maybe also shared team scouting data)
  • Field sketch tool: A simple, digital board where the team can quickly sketch out an autonomous route or a drive strategy to show their alliance partner in the queuing line

I saw on one of the robosource videos that someone made an app for scouting you just take a few phots of you robot write something cool about it im add link to the video. I didn’t really pay. attention the rest of the topic.

Robolink scouting app video

I believe Robo Scout has stuff like this, but I was already planning to improve it.


I was thinking something like this with the aforementioned stats. It can be up to four teams, with the best stat in green, then yellow, then orange then red.

I like this idea. I tried to download Elapse to see, but it keeps freezing.

I also plan to do this. I want people to be able to save scorecards to their app, and upload them to matches so people can see the scores better.

I think I will put this in the Tourny mode section. It will show the stats and comparisons of you and your alliance, and the opponent.

I think these are pretty similar:

Similar to the score cards, you can save your drawing onto your phone and pull it up whenever.

I think these are amazing ideas thank you so much!

I think this app is really cool and don’t want to go to far into the scouting field since it seems this app has ti covered. I mostly want it to be an all-in-one utilities app that also has a community/news area.

This seems like a great project idea. I’ve always liked the idea of a Vex everything app, so maybe a match schedule tool, scoring tool, and maybe even a patching tool.

Hey! Member of the elapse team here
Which platform? We’re running into some issues with tournament mode atm

If you are looking for something to get you started, elapse is open source :​)

Any chance you could look into the bug with groups? I’m on android and when entering the join code, nothing happens

Elapse is on Android? I was told that it was only on apple

wait can you add like video links so we can watch the matches live also can you add like a match number so it keeps telling you like you get a notification when its your match

There is usually a webcast link inside the robot events page for the event. I will see if i could try to add this link to the tournament page.

No way I was gonna do this :joy:

I see you’ve already been flooded with suggestions but from my own personal experience, being able to use the app offline for pairings once uploaed, as I find the wifi we get is often bad/patchy and being able to check back on when your next match is and a quick score breakdown you can look at and find out how much it is for control on long goal etc simply, and a way to record results for notebook or smthign

I think that you can add like a AI assistant for like checking the rules

Please no. This is a terrible idea for so many reasons

This is a horrid idea

Some things I would like in a VEX app (not sure if any of these have been implemented in other apps)

  • Notifications about event registration / capacity (e.g. I enable notifications for X event, and the all tells me when X event has <50% capacity, only 10 spots left, etc.)

  • View a list of all teams attending an event that includes award count for TC, Excellence, Design, etc. (I know RoboScout allows you to view award counts of teams, but not all teams simultaneously as a list)

  • View a list of teams attending an event in descending order by skills score. This would be their scores prior to, not at the event. I think this would be helpful for setting skills score goals for an event

  • A match scorer that is like VRC Hub, but is optimized to be updated as quickly as possible for live scoring

respectfully I don’t think i will be adding this.

I like this idea though.