Moby construction review?

Over in the VIQ forum is a really great thread around this years game Herobot “Fling” Herobot: Fling Unofficial Thread

Moby is the one for this years VRC game. Has anybody built it to see if there are issues with the build instructions and how well it (doesn’t) play the game?

4 Likes

We built it to prepare for a camp hosted over the summer. There were a few issues from what I can remember.

• The default user program could not control Moby, we might have needed a VexOS update however

• Due to the high torque of the mogo lift and oversized channels, many parts could bend if the mogo lift was pushed out of a small range.

• When lowering the lift the structural support channel between arms could hit the front wheels (major reason why parts could bend)

• The shaft spacing in the manual was oversized for the lifting arms, resulting in the arms forming a trapezoid, and straining the already weak standoff connection to the support c-channel from either lifting arm, alternative spacing was required.

• Wheel spacing was loose due to the starter kit not having a large variety of spacers, not a huge issue, but it would be a good idea to add some extra

Those are the biggest ones I can remember

10 Likes

Thanks very much for the update. I’ll make a bigger effort than last year to suggest to roboteers to use the ideas, not the construction.