Nationals vs states

hi! our team qualified to nationals with a design award but i was wondering if it is more worth it to try to get into states (we’re in california) rather than go to nationals? or maybe go to both? tysm

Well, what do you think? Will states qualify your team for anything that nationals won’t (provided you win the proper award)? Definitely worth looking each event up and seeing what they are all about.

Welcome to VEXforum - but seriously username Amazon? do you represent the company? 687B has been around for a while.

back to the question - I would ask your team coach to research the question about qualifying criteria … There is no US “Nationals” but rather state and regional championships which will advance you to World Championships. Signature events will also advance you to Worlds. End of the day, competing in your region’s championships is quite an accomplishment!

3 Likes

ty for replying ! the username amazon is an inside joke bc it sounds like my full name said really quickly, i am not the company (unfortunately??)

when we got the design award, the club board was emailed saying we got into “nationals” but i cant seem to find much on it other than it’s in iowa ? thank you so much for the advice

imo my buddy can choose whatever name she wants unless it’s inappropriate. No need to clown for username choice

edit: fixed pronouns

12 Likes

i’ve heard that states is easier to qualify for worlds than nationals (and our team is in kinda bad shape) as well as i couldn’t find too much on nationals in the first place so i was wondering if anyone had any advice. thank you so much!

1 Like

There is no “Nationals” in the US. I am note sure what the “Create” organization is offering this season… But a lot of key awards provide means to register for their event. It is a blast from what I have heard from teams who have attended. Scheduling can be a challenge with Worlds…

not sure if he/she/they - but Amazon is a sponsor of events in VRC - may be wise not to confuse things… like I would not have username “Drow Bro” for obvious reasons - just because you can pick any username does not mean it is a wise choice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, it is actually easier to qualify for nationals, as any normal qualifying tournament can qualify you for nationals. The consequence for this, is that nationals will not qualify you for anything. However, it usually happens in-between Event region Championships (ERCs) and Worlds, so it is a great event to test your Worlds robot at.

Worlds, however, will only see teams qualifying from ERCs or Signature Events. It is also the World’s largest robotics competition, and sees teams from all over the world vying for the title of VEX Robotics World Champion.

So take your pick, but I’d recommend trying to qualify for your ERC and then trying to qualify for Worlds. I have never been, from what I have seen, it truly is a once in a season (even lifetime) event!

(And btw, I’m assuming you are talking about the CREATE US Open, which is normally called “nationals”, as it used to be called the “VEX Robotics Championship of the Americas” and is one of the largest tournaments in the USA outside of the World Championship.)

5 Likes

not sure if he/she/they - but Amazon is a sponsor of events in VRC - may be wise not to confuse things… like I would not have username “Drow Bro” for obvious reasons - just because you can pick any username does not mean it is a wise choice :slight_smile:

oh tysm for pointing that out i might change my un then…

thank you so so so much !

1 Like

(Not sure why they would need to have an account on here, but carry on)

1 Like

ok , let’s go down Trade Marks pathway…

Just because you can, does not mean you can in legal realm.

I think its funny they call it the US Open, when it’s an invitational.

13 Likes