New Products - December 2019

I’m very excited to announce some new products that have just been added to the VEX Website.

First off, the V5 Inertial Sensor.
E33A8364

This new sensor combines an accelerometer and a gyroscope to give users the ability to measure their robot’s movement in any direction.

More information can be found in this Knowledge Base article:

Next up, the Linear Motion Kit v2.
This updated version of the original Linear Motion Kit includes (4) 12" rails and red slide trucks to match other V5 Motion components.
E33A8262

Finally, we’re also releasing Star Drive Versions of both our “regular” and High Strength Clamping Shaft Collars.

All of these products are now in-stock and available for purchase on the US site. They will be available internationally in the next few weeks as our other warehouses receive stock.

43 Likes

Looks very cool. Might have to buy one of those sensors.

7 Likes

Going to probably pick up the sensor. Also, the high strength collar finally has star drive.

1 Like

Will the v5 inertial sensor be legal for this year’s competition?

2 Likes

probably, I don’t think they would release an illegal sensor and neglect saying in bold words that the sensor is illegal :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Average Person: Nothing else makes my heart race faster than relationships
VEX Robotics Competitor: Sees new product reveal on VEXForum

35 Likes

Anyone have an idea how fast these products normally ship out and deliver?

it says in the rules any new products released will be legal.

3 Likes

Always helpful to quote the rule when you claim something is legal.

2 Likes

That rules are acknowledged is a step forward :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Awesome! Accelerometer and gyro in one, amazing. Hopefully they’re good

3 Likes

im interested in how those slides will be, they look the same as the old ones. Maybe scissor lifts could become good? time will tell

1 Like

pretty sure the slides are exactly like the old ones, just red. I was really excited for a moment too lol.
even if the slides were aluminum it would be so much better.

3 Likes

guess we will have to wait for an adventurous builder to give it a shot

2 Likes

I noticed one difference between V1 and V2, besides the color of the plastic parts.

In the V2 kit, 17.5" rails are no longer included. The weight tab on the new kit mentions a 17" rail, but I can’t find any reference to it outside of that. Looks like that might be a mistake, left over from copying the old weight information in.

Since the color of the plastic is updated, they should have also updated this: https://www.vexrobotics.com/276-4489.html

With an accelerometer, you can find the 2nd integration of acceleration with respect to time to find the displacement of the robot essentially eliminating the need for tracking wheels. The gyro will also tell the orientation. Because the accelerometer is multi axis, you can extract even more useful data making odometry possible without any tracking wheels. Granted, there is no code on vex for this kind of math because we never had this kind of sensor, but this opens up many opportunities, I’m excited.

5 Likes

Vex has had an accelerometer for some time now

3 Likes

Yes, but not 3 axis and no one has used it because of how bad it was (or so I assume)

2 Likes

Unfortunately, not with the consumer grade accelerometers that VEX sells - they don’t have enough precision and mechanical vibrations introduce so much noise that tracking robot position is not possible.

However, the old accelerometers were good to detect robot collisions and tilt. We used one during Skyrise during autonomous and prog skill run to detect if robot run into something unexpected, and in driver control to detect if robot was leaning when lift was extended and to reduce velocity thus preventing it from potentially falling.

7 Likes

it was 3 axis actually. I just think it wasn’t very accurate. not accurate enough to know where your robot’s position is anyways.

2 Likes