New Zealand Robotics Teams

Well i always knew that New Zealand Robotics Teams were pretty good, but they really shocked me this year. Were at around the 4th month of competing, or pretty early in the season, and these teams score everything on the field with 1:10 seconds left. Also considering that most of the teams in the finals at the world cup could hold 4-5 tubes, at an insanely fast speed. These teams just help our teams, and others to strive to create a better, faster, and stronger machine, thanks guys, you inspire me. :slight_smile:

A significant difference is that most American teams find out about the new game, go sit their exams, and disappear for a couple of months for summer break. Meanwhile, we’re in winter, so we’re all hiding indoors… building robots. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m sure it won’t take too long for everyone else to catch up!

Hey Clean Sweep Man,

Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement. We had an absolute blast at the Robot World Cup and to be honest, the pressure was on to perform well, so that is why all of the NZ robots seem more “developed” than normal at this time of year. :slight_smile:

Looking forward to seeing you guys again at worlds… or if you come back to visit/play in NZ???

-George

tbh i’m really looking forward to nationals!
It’s gonna be an exciting one :smiley:

Well we all really wanted to go to New Zealand again, but our lead mentor gets to pick, and we usually go to a different country each year. But we will see you guys when you come to LA/Anaheim for the world championship, its only about a 40 minute drive from our school, so it going to be a pretty cool experience. You guys have some nice machines, but just wait until december at the LA championship when we reveal our robot :wink: remember this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEBS_Lfcmxg). ill see you in april. :slight_smile:

). ill see you in april. :slight_smile:

Don’t you mean this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHgTheYxtlg

I can speak for my entire team when we say that NZ teams are always a great inspiration for ideas, strategies and even some nice designs. :slight_smile: Andrew is right, though. While all of us lazy US geeks are sitting around looking at our trophies, the kiwis show us how it’s done, and really up the anti. Kudos to them for that.

I am really hoping to make it out to Anaheim for front-row seats of some more amazing competitions. The robotics world cup gave us all a sneak-peek, and I know I’m excited to watch this face-off. :slight_smile:

Oh I certainly remember the hanging mechanism. I was so excited to see it at the AKL regionals. It was so cool!

Like it :smiley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkst0HZg2g8

What an amazing match. :eek:

My team definitely has some catching up to do. The best part of the video was the handoff of the negation barrel across the fence at 2:30. I think that will be a common move in competitive matches.

We’re just in the process of uploading a bunch more videos from this competition. Be sure to check our channel if you want to watch some of the other matches!
www.youtube.com/aucklandrobotics

Hate to sound repetitive, but man… those are some really clean, elegant designs.

I’m especially fond of the “2 bar” (for lack of a better term) arm on that 720 robot. Does anyone know how the chaining configuration on that works? I thought I saw a single sprocket driving both the gear the arm is attached to as well as the sprocket at the end of the arm?

There’s a DVD of most of the matches from Day 3 which could also be helpful (don’t know who has it)

Overall, it was a great competition and marvellous to be a part of it - great to have a number of teams there and intense competition for this stage of the season - be great if there’s something like this next year

Certainly took me by surprise, we thought we had it. and then BOOM theres a negator in our goal :open_mouth:

We used this configuration too, it works the same motion as a 4 bar.

It does this because the sproket on the “tower” of the robot is screwed in and stationary where the sproket at the intake end rotates it, this means that as the arm lifts, the chain rotates the intake and keeps it steady