Ok, wait, why Cascade Lift?

My teammate is being a jack about me even posting this since other people probably asked this before me but I figured I wanted just and hear what people say to myself even if others did. Cascade lifts seem so unbalance and seem as if they grow unstable if were extended too much. My team is aiming for a DR4B based build since I seems more, how do I put it, complete? I’m fairly new to what’s meta and what’s not meta and why it is that so videos and own personal responses would be appreciated.
Yet Id aswell like to know what your own teams do. (Notebooker so I need some poll data as well lol)

  • Cascade
  • DR4B / RD4B
  • Other
0 voters

Honestly it depends on what you are planning to achieve with your claw and manipulators. If you are doing like a intake bot then dr4b is probably better over speed, but for things like a chain bar, you want cascade for more endpoint stability and more compactness

My team is doing cascade lift, for various different reasons. While I can’t say much about what you should do, I can mention the reasons we are going for it.

  1. It is much lighter than a DR4B or DR6B, and therefore much lighter as well
  2. It is much more “stable” than DR4/6B. (Just look up any VEX DR4/6B and compare it to a cascade, you’ll see what I mean.)
  3. It is what a lot of high skill teams are doing, probably because of the previously mentioned reasons. Ace, Snacky Cakes, etc.

While a little more complex at first, it is actually really quite simple once you take a good look at it.

Once again, I can’t dictate what your team does, but that was just my ‘2 cents’.

If intake bot then do dr4b, if it’s chain bar do cascade. There are drawbacks to both though:

Dr4b: heavy, takes a lot of room

Cascade: snaps easily (I think it’s happened at moa) and string is hard to use.

Thats literally what i said :expressionless_face:

Lowkey I did not see it :cold_face:

Sorry and good luck this season!

casade is meta
look at MOA
there were very few casades
but by the end
most of the bots were casades

DR4B is more structural and less prone to snapping and cascades are less structural and have significantly more slop so it is more prone to snapping

Okay, hold on a second; it seems to me that one poorly built continuous fell apart at MOA, and suddenly everyone thinks that elevator lifts are prone to falling apart. Someone tell me if I’m wrong, but I really do feel like DR4B is a lot less reliable and has more slop.

We just rebuilt, and cascade is so much better. Low profile and faster to make

Fr
Just look at FRC

twenty characters

They can be a little better sometimes but they require 2-3 times the c-channels for the same height as a cascade lift.

More durable than a dr4b? Are you sure? Maybe it’s because people don’t box their c channels, but so far ours is holding up really strong (of course, it’s not an actual dr4b, but the basics are the same, and besides we have a sister team that’s doing it and they held another bot on top of it). I’d advise against a cascade since it gets really top heavy and you run a great risk every time it rises to score (legal by the way).

In my opinion, durability isn’t the issue. As far as a newer team goes, dr4b without intake and dedicate alot of wattage to the 4 bar. Experience aside, dr6b or cascade are both great choices

My team is doing a single-support lift sorta like an elevator on motorized rails. I’ll post an image of the working design below:


This was taken today but we’ve already started modifying this design so it will look a little different in any later pics I post. Also yes, I know, our drivetrain is hideous. We’ll fix that, I promise. It’s a work in progress.

This is how I would go about it.

Watch great planes, speedway, and highlander finals.

Then, based on you design goals, which one will achieve those goals?

I get not a lot of teams are worried about durability, but it’s just a worst case scenario (hint hint, we might go against you) since there’s a very special bot that can hit very high force thresholds. It’s also from experience since we have to make sure our stuff works meticulously before a competition.

we have changed our minds and are doing a modified Cascade lift now :melting_face: