[Open Source] VEX-AIM-MCP: A MCP Tool for VEX AIM Programming and AI Interaction

Hello everyone!

I am a middle school student and a VEX enthusiast. Recently, I developed an open-source project called VEX-AIM-MCP and would like to share it with the VEX programming community.

Introduction

VEX-AIM-MCP is a tool based on the Model Context Protocol (MCP) that connects AI assistants with VEX AIM robots.

The purpose of this project is to provide a simpler way for developers and students to experiment with AI and robotics. By exposing VEX AIM functions through MCP tools, AI models can interact with the robot and assist users in exploring robot programming.

Features

Currently, VEX-AIM-MCP supports:

  • :robot: Sending movement commands to VEX AIM robots
  • :light_bulb: Controlling LED and speaker functions
  • :satellite_antenna: Reading robot status information
  • :snake: Accessing VEX AIM Python API functions
  • :wrench: Providing MCP tools for AI assistants

The project is built on top of the WebSocket interface provided by VEX AIM and wraps robot communication into easy-to-use MCP tools.

Development

This project was mainly developed using TRAE IDE.

TRAE helped me with coding, debugging, and organizing the project structure. Through this project, I learned more about combining AI tools with robotics systems and completed my first MCP-based robotics project.

Open Source Repository

GitHub:

The project is still under development. Feedback, suggestions, and ideas from the VEX community are very welcome!

I hope this project can help more students explore the possibilities of AI and robotics with VEX AIM.

Thank you!

1 Like