@Foster I know you have had an interest in planetary gears. I recently obtained the 60t ring gear from a Hexbug “Orbit” set and Planetary Gear Simulator suggested a setup with either 36t sun and 12t planets OR 12t sun with 24t planets would work. Indeed they do. Unfortunately is not possible to use more than two planets and have it fit the geometry of a carrier (for the 36t sun version). The 12t sun with 24t planets gives 6:1 reduction. The 36t sun gives a somewhat odd 8/3 reduction. Regardless, my son keeps wanting a way to incorporate planetary gearing into his bot. Will see if his team can do it this season.
I do love planetary gears. I like the compact nature of them and a huge fan of stacked planetary gears to do motor reductions (FRC robots using the VEX planetary)
The smaller ones do 1:3 which is almost perfect for base drives.
Post what they end up with !!
what are those gears? where can I get them?


