Poll: what sensor for pooper?

It was really reliable at worlds, they even had a black backboard they moved between fields to ensure the vision sensors success, and like I said, if you code it the right way lighting or background doesn’t matter, I even saw USC doing some tests with shooting the blue flags while putting other blue flags around them but it still shot the right ones

2 Likes

Honestly I think the lighting was better at worlds than lots of comps, because worlds didn’t have windows, unlike almost every comp, you didn’t have to keep on recalibrating the sensor, you just had to calibrate it once when you got there and you were set

3 Likes

Q: What would make me say unreliable at worlds?
A: Likely due to the fact that lighting is different at multiple competitions
Your response quoted:

Your meaning in-context:

Case point:

5 Likes

Well yeah, but still I was able to use a vision sensor to aim reliably at each of my comps (except the states one but we don’t talk about that) and it helped my design greatly, you just have to re-callibrate it each comp, maybe even multiple times at a comp, but as long as you put a bit of work in it’s reliable. (And calibrating only took me around 2 minutes each time)

1 Like

My students built an “ejector” with a vision sensor and they tested it in a variety of conditions, it worked 100% of the time.

I guess if you were really worried about it you could program in a fail-safe so that in say your red side program if it doesn’t see blue to send the ball to score. That way if it did fail in a match, you would still be able to score instead of all your balls getting ejected out the back of your robot. Or even better, program in a button that toggles it, so that if the lighting conditions happen to be off you can just turn it off for the match.

1 Like

So what im taking away from this so far is that the vision sensor can be reliable if you constantly remember to calibrate it at every new place you go to, but it’s not ideal. But it’s better than nothing(episcally if your team doesn’t have enough money to buy the new sensor)!

Slightly out of context, but good to note. If you know Cars, you know the basic generalities that countries that manufacture cars has some relative trends:

Basically speaking, the more complex and sophisticated you get, you can get better performance if done right. But if you rely too heavily on advanced sensors then you may find yourself with the drawback of decreased reliability, or increased maintenance. Basically speaking, if you are good at time management and remembering to maintain the additional aspects you put on your robot then I think a vision sensor would be a good idea. But if you’re wanting something that you can just slap on and forget about, I think something else would be more necessary such as the simple vex color sensor soon to be released or the basic line follower, if in the right location on the robot.

5 Likes

Well you only have to calibrate it once (unless conditions change), but it will just go in the check list of what to do when getting to the comp, like how you always check every screw on your bot after the car ride to make sure it’s all good. But yeah, if you won’t use it for more than just seeing what color ball you’ve intook then you are probably better off with a different sensor

3 Likes

Oh ok. Thanks!

I’d say, if you can get the vision sensor to work consistently, that’s good. keep it as an option. but make sure you have some other option in case the lighting causes inconsistencies at events.

6 Likes

Optical Sensor image

12 Likes