I didn’t even notice how the side rollers were geared before you mentioned it. Im surprised they work as well as they do.
Really cool, surprised by how stable the lift is on top of a 4-bar
I didn’t even think about attaching the whole arm to a four bar. I’m amazed it works. Really cool design. Question: does that make the arm a triple four bar?
Not really. Since they aren’t mechanically linked they are treated as two separate systems. Kinda like the four-bar on top of dr4b in In The Zone.
Unfortunately we could not mount the motor under the side roller like that design does, so we had to get a bit creative.
Great robot especially for 3 days. I have been thinking of making a robot like this, (but I can’t because my stupid school). Anyway have you seen this thread “Differential transmission - power takeoff from the drivetrain motors” it could help save your “4 Bar Lift Mover” motor so you can use it some where else.
That is an amazing robot!
It seems counterinuitive to move entire DR4B forward, instead of just the top with the cube tube, but I get your objective to have a unique design.
Will your next build use the same concept, or have you learned some limitations?
While this isn’t my favorite design so far, several of your mechanisms are the most effective I’ve seen thus far, great job! I am particularly interested to see how your passive hinge works in the documentary
Moving just the cube tube did cross my mind while we were designing. Then I started trying imagine the support structure necessary to move it, and it is too complex to possibly be done in an ri3d, and I’m not even sure if it’s feasible for a normal robot. In ITZ the top 4 bar just had to move very light rollers, but the cube tube is far heavier. Not to mention that we were planning on doing a 6 cube capacity tube.
Also, I am VexU now, so my build will likely be very different
Great job guys, I hadn’t even thought about moving the entire lift before like that.
Transmissions are a bit hard to work into a Ri3D and it would be hard to get all of the spacing/gear ratios right. It is something that could be looked into but would probably be pretty complex.
Yeah you are right a Ri3D is a very short deadline, but maybe it would work in a full season robot.
This was already an extremely complex Ri3D. If you compare it to some others, you will find that there are fare more moving parts and subsystems that all had to be built in 3 days.
Wow. This is eerily similar to my Plan B design, with a few key differences. Very well done.
I’m curious, the rollers almost seem like they hinder you and not help. The time it takes to suck them into place seems like a waist. Why not just ditch them and use eye coordination like most ITZ bots did to grab cones?
That would be inefficient as the cube tube would need to individually orient with a cube while roller intakes can intake a cube in any orientation.
SUPER! great robot!
This is an impressive robot, great work!
I can see how it would be more consistent, but it looks like it slows it down by allot. Maybe if they sped up the rollers.
The rollers were by far the most difficult part of the robot because making 1 motor rollers that fit these specifications is something that has never been done before. You also have to understand that this complex robot was built in 3 days, which means there was absolutely no time for tuning. The rollers are agreeably, lack luster, but we still think rollers are extremely important for autonomous consistency and helping the driver. I don’t know if you noticed in the rules, but this year they increased the object placement tolerance to ±1.5” instead of 1”, so rollers to help suck in the cube will be invaluable.