Rule question emergency

So I just got some news that my other team-member has to go visit family out of state because of some medical complications, I also was not able to find the rule in the manual, but I thought there was one that allowed a team to compete with just one driver operating the robot for the full 60 seconds.

I think G3 would permit you to compete still

1 Like

Teamwork is a core tenet of the VEX IQ Challenge, and the recommended Team size is 2-3 Students. However, in the 2021-2022 season, there may be local health guidelines outside of Team control that make it difficult for multiple Students to meet together on a regular basis. In these circumstances, one-Student Teams are a permissible exception to the recommended Team size, although these exceptions are expected to be rare.

G8 Drivers switch Controllers midway through the Match.

b. For the 2021-2022 season, Teams may elect to have one Driver in the Driver Station, instead of two.
If only one Driver is present in the Driver Station, they may drive for the full Match, and a controller
switch is not required. It is at the Team’s discretion whether they wish to have one Driver or two. If
two Drivers are present in the Driver Station, the controller switch rules in would then apply.

The intent of point “b” in this rule is to provide flexibility for Teams who are unable to meet in a traditional capacity due to local health guidelines. As noted in the definition of “Team”, teamwork is a core tenet of the VEX IQ Challenge, and the two-Student drive team is intended to be a fundamental application of this skill. If a Team has the capacity to include multiple Students, it should also be expected that they will not take advantage of this single-Driver exception for strategic gain.

9 Likes