Sensor Test Base

Hey all!
So my team performed well at our last tournament, but unfortunately did not make it to states. With most tournament between now and states being full in my region, this is looking like it may be the end of our season. My team has decided to use this time to prepare for next season. One of our Ideas was to design a test base to try out different programming and driving techniques. It would probably be loosely based off of @jpearman’s test base, including things like interchangeability between mecanums and omnis, as well as being easily reparable. We would probably design it to be able to use tracking wheels. Does anyone have anymore recommendations for sensors to use, where to mount them, or just advice in general? Thanks!

2 Likes

So I have most of the actual base finished: anyone have any advice on what sensors to attach/where? Keep in mind that I do not have any V5 sensors, but I do have most of the cortex ones.
Screenshot 2021-03-01 174208
Edit: I said I do not have any v5 sensors, but this is not true. I do have the Vision sensor, but none of the new ones.

Well, here are some ideas:

Using the gyro could be interesting. Perhaps have the robot sense when it gets flipped over, and then change the drive controls to compensate.

Adding bumpers to the front is usually interesting, then you can make a “Roomba” type autonomous robot.

Some Ultrasonic sensors on the sides could be fun. Two on each side could be used to sense when the robot is parallel with a particular surface.

5 Likes

If you can get a V5 inertial sensor, I would recommend it. It’s far more accurate than the cortex gyros. You can also figure out how to program field optometry with encoder wheels.

1 Like

If you have not used Okapi/Odometry position tracking, I would recommend trying that out

1 Like

I really want to learn PROS and how to do that. Do you know if I need to buy V5 rotation sensors or if cortex optical shaft encoders will work?

The normal 3 wire encoders will work basically the same

1 Like

Thanks. Just to clarify, they work with the build in code for odymetry?

I am not the programmer. He’s good, and wants to learn sensors, and I want to be better CAD, so our wants met here.
I use robotc when I have to program, anyway.
Also, I don’t know if he’s ready for odometry quite yet, would it work to put the encoders just on the wheels for just position tracking, or do they need to be banded down?

1 Like

Banding them down independent of the wheels works the best in my experience. Wheel slippage can introduce inaccuracies over distances sometimes

1 Like

I’d recommend an x-drive if or mecanum drive if you really want to get into more complex coding.

X-drive cad with tracking wheels

Sorry, those are the only renders I have.

2 Likes

That was part of the plan, tocmake the base compatible with mecanums and omnis, so it can be tank drive and a strafing one. I have also been trying to design an x-drive with lexan gussets, so that might work for another test base

I have made progress:
Screenshot 2021-03-02 162948
So far I have:

• Tracking wheels
  • Vision sensor set up to detect an object
    I plan on adding bumper switches in the back, and maybe ultrasonic sensors like @trontech569 said, sounds like a good Idea.
7 Likes

I think that v5 distance sensors work better than ultrasonic sensors. That’s just what I have heard, I have not actually used either of these.

3 Likes

Maybe tilt the vision sensor up a little bit more? I think that’s what that is at least

1 Like

Yup, that’s what it is. It’s designed to pick up objects that would go in the empty space in the front, so I think the angle is good.

Don’t have any. If we test these out and like them, then we might get the v5 ones.

1 Like