Size Requirements For Bank Shot Competition

I have a question about the size of the robot, and I have seen different things about. There are many robot designs where the scoop to pick up balls is sometimes on the front of the robot, and sometimes on the back of the robot. Is the 20 inch length permanent? Can the length change from front or back as long as it does not go over 20 inches at anytime? Please clarfiy.

Thank you

Yes, the length can change, as long as it doesn’t go over 20 inches at any time.

At any time during the match, you should be able to stop the robot, and place a 20"x13" box over it. In some cases, the robot may fit into the box a different way, as long as it still fits into the box.

Yes. The robot horizontal cannot exceed 20" by 13" at any time during the matches. The height can change though and that will be fine.

I do not quite understand fitting the robot into the hypothetical box in a a “different way”. My understanding of the rule is that it will need to fit into the 20"x 13" horizontal measure with “drive wheels on a level floor. Or at the very least the horizontal 20” x 13" needs to be parallel to the plane that the drive wheels sit on.

This was discussed in a couple of previous post when people asked:

1. How do you measure the 20" x 13" if the robot is on the ramp?
  2. How do you measure the 20" x 13" if a tall robot falls over?

I believe it would be legal for a robot to start the match 13" wide and 20" long, and at some point in the match, transform to 13" wide and 13" long, and transform again to become 20" wide and 13" long.

At no point does the robot break the size rules.

Right?

Steve

Besides that, I believe it would be legal (not very practical though) to have a very narrow robot fitting into 13x20 diagonally. You’d claim the forward direction is rotated by 30 degrees :wink:

Yes Steve you are correct. Thank you for clarifying.

I have heard of tournaments that inspectors only measure the robots in a single static position. As an inspector, the robots must maintain the size requirements in any legal configuration. Starting configuration is no larger than 20"x13"x15". The robot must contact the floor at start no larger than 13"x13". Once the game starts the length and width must be no larger than 20"x13" while the robot is on the driving wheel base. The height can extend as high as the designer likes once the game starts.

ipanavigator, above you said it’s your understanding of the rule is that “it will need to fit into the 20"x 13” horizontal measure with “drive wheels on a level floor. Or at the very least the horizontal 20” x 13" needs to be parallel to the plane that the drive wheels sit on." and “Once the game starts the length and width must be no larger than 20"x13” while the robot is on the driving wheel base."

I wish that were the case, but I’m quite sure that’s not correct.

The rules say at the start your robot must “Fit within a 13” x 20” area, bounded by the Starting Position.”
And “During the Match, Robots may not expand beyond the 13”x20” *area *they were limited to at the start of the Match”

That’s semantically but signficantly different than saying “the robot can’t be longer than 20 inches” because of the potential for tipping.

Say your 20" long robot never extends beyond it’s starting 20” length, but tips in such a way that it’s real length, along the ground, would be 22".
That would no longer “fit within a 13” x 20" area bounded by the starting position." as shown below, and therefore be illegal. Thoughts?
http://content.screencast.com/users/GregBarr/folders/Jing/media/e6e0dafb-7239-4e02-ba33-09290b0193a5/2016-01-06_1016.png

Any inspector that’s just measuring the robot in a single static position is clearly not inspecting/approving the robot appropriately.
In fact they need to measure it not just in all possible static positions, but in such a way that they catch everything the robot is designed to do in a match.

Cuz my kids are going nuts trying to eliminate a tipping issue that causes the situation I diagrammed above.

Actually, maybe I’m wrong, as I just realized that ANY robot that’s exactly 20" long would by definition violate the “area” as I’ve defined it above when they go up the ramp (which isn’t the tipping scenario I’ve been struggling with) and there’s no way they would require that robots fit within 20" at the fairly extreme angle the ramp tips the robots to.

JeeBar, yeah I read in a different post that said that the robot is measured as it would be on a flat on the field, so that robots that are taller don’t break the rules when they drive up the ramp just because the robot is at an angle. Of course, tipping is not in the spirit of this rule and it might not accommodate legality if your robot is leaning. I say might because I’m still waiting on Khartik’s or someone official to answer this thread: http://www.vexiqforum.com/forum/vex-iq-challenge-discussion/viqc-bank-shot/official-viqc-bank-shot-q-a/11383-20-size-constraint-clarification-when-leaning