You are correct that I was disrespectful, and I am sorry.
I am sorry for an aggressive tone @Unionjackjz , you did nothing wrong. I will edit the post to be civil.
Much of what I said came from an aspect of feeling, which was wrong.
If you’re experiencing these issues with VEXcode, I would ask you to please use the feedback tool built into VEXcode to report “crashing” or other issues. We can’t fix issues that we’re not aware of, and these issues you mention have not been previously reported.
Just wondering with all the talk about pros vs vexcode
- PROS
- Vexcode text
- Vexcode blocks
- Other
I reccomend not buying a kit I would look at reveals and buy individual parts
Polling other programming religious wars ![]()
- 2 Space indentation
- 4 Space indentation
- Randomly indent
- No white-space at all, no newlines - code was hard to write, so it should be hard to read!
Didn’t even include tabs?
I am a strong proponent of tabs over spaces, with tabs anyone can configure their text editor to display a tab to be as large or small as they would like.
The latest version of the Competition Kit, IMHO, is a good place for a new team to start. It would be difficult for a new team to pick out the necessary individual parts from looking at a reveal,
Griffin, you may want to reconsider that unfortunate view…
I have to agree with @536Mentor, the V5 competition kits were well designed (unlike the old Cortex Clawbot kits). The competition starter kit is a good choice for a novice team, as it includes the parts to build the V5 trainer, while the competition super kit is a good choice for established teams (you cannot build a the trainer with the comp super kit). Additionally, the kits provide up to 25% savings over individual part prices, and since VEX never has a “sale” it’s the only way you’ll ever get a discount from VEX. For anyone interested in making cost comparisons, here is the data: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hzt_FnFFhr3Nl_EeBID-ZrQJsScVbDWk/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=117080557510806294070&rtpof=true&sd=true
Correlation does not imply causation. Tabs are superior.
no
20 whole characters
yes
You can’t build the clawbot with the competition super kit, but if you buy the claw kit separately (link) and do a bit of cutting, you can end up with something very similar.
But for competition use, I think you’re probably better off with the hero bot as a first build anyway – and you can build that from the super kit, although some cutting is required:
Or at least, you can this year (and IIRC you could last year too) – no guarantee that next year’s hero bot will be buildable with the super kit, but looking at the selection of parts in both kits I would say it’s likely.
Given that all the parts in the super kit are useful, and that it offers the most savings compared to buying all the parts individually, the super kit is definitely what I’d go for if it’s in the budget. If not, the starter kit is a great option.
Thanks for all your great reply. So in summary here is what I learned:
1). Programming - VEX code (C++) or PROS both great options - with great support and easiness to learn. VEX code has python support also - although numpy and some other support needing - so give it another year? Don’t want to start another language debate, but we will probably start evaluating C++ options.
- Getting the kit - VEX V5 starter kit of Competition super kit - and building a clawbot or hero bot. We just got a Competition super kit by the way. Hope to start to play on it, and not cut too much as we want to work towards our eventual double intake model.
Looks like Vex education channel is great for initial. Clawbot manual is there. Does people recommend a few lectures to get familiarized with different components, or perhaps we just dive and start building the claw bot?
Thanks, we learned a whole lot
I think that the learning will be the most genuine if you just dive into it and ask questions along the way instead of listening to a monologue about the fundamentals of VEX Robotics. Experiment with different things, find what works, what doesn’t, just make sure they aren’t bending any metal (except for plate metal, I suppose that’s acceptable; let the debate ensue), overheating motors, or causing damage otherwise out there. There’s plenty of resources on YouTube if you are looking into cool ideas to try building.
Here are some good resources to get you started, too.
kb.vex.com
Hi! I’m a new VEX V5 developer and just learning about V5’s project documentation and the project structure. My teammate used to participate in previous competitions, and I have a solid coding background, so I was introduced to writing the code for the team. Considering its easy readability and light difficulty to others who haven’t developed stuff before, I choose Python to develop. (I used C to write for robots before, but I want everyone in the team can read and maintain the code at any time with my documentation and comments)
I’ve tried the VSC extension and have looked through your contributions to the VEX Python library on GitHub. As I’m relatively new to developing programs for the VEX robot, there’s a chance I might not have fully grasped all aspects of the documentation, and I may have ignored certain details. I have a few questions and would appreciate clarification on some points.
- Since there is the vex API library file for Python, is it also possible to compile in IDEs like PyCharm directly? I want to use PyCharm to code, and I spend some time figuring out the SDK in VEXCode. It seems like if I use other IDEs or editors to code, I have to turn back to VEXCode and compile.
- When I use VEXCode or the extension for VSC, I notice only .v5python files can be imported, and .py files can’t be imported. However, the new file created by the extension in VSC is a .py file. How should I compile the main file if VEXCode can only import .v5python? Just format the code?
This is a 2 year old topic, next time please start a new one.
Do we have one ? I had linked to micropython but that does not contain anything we have added for VEX.
The vex.py file is just to keep linters etc. happy, it only contains function stubs.
Python for the V5 is not compiled, so I guess use any editor you want.
However, you will need to use the VSCode extension to download the Python file onto the V5 brain.
Just cut and paste the code into the main.py file created by the VSCode extension when a new project is made.