Squared Away: Balls underneath the cube when not normal?

This actually happened today. SUMMER CAMP 2019!!!

I think all three balls are scored according to 1.a.

IMG_0251

This isn’t perfect, but here’s a above view for the vertical projection. All three balls are touching the floor at a point under the cube.

IMG_0253

6 Likes

I think one is illegal with 1B as it is contacting the floor “outside” the cube. Maybe something worth putting on the official Q+A.

I think the ball in question is pretty clearly scored.

Here’s the relevant rule (emphasis mine):

Looking at the second image above, it seems pretty clear that the point of contact between the ball and the floor (roughly in the center of the ball as viewed from above) is within the vertical projection of the cube onto the floor, and thus criteria b is met.

4 Likes

So would this diagram be correct as far as the “vertical projection” that’s represented by dotted grey lines?

Image%20112

3 Likes

Yes, that looks approximately correct to me.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s what I thought.

I kinda hope it doesn’t count and we get some clearer instruction. Not because it isn’t legal now, but because I can see this as being very arguable and subjective in practice

2 Likes

The rule should be a little easier… Maybe a change…

3 Likes

That sounds much better

4 Likes

“…center of the ball is within…”
And not mention the floor.
Because I think they want a ball inside that sticks out a little to score.
Still sometimes hard to evaluate.

1 Like

What if a ball is under the platform with a stacked cube? Is that 1 point?

1 Like

No, such a ball would not be scored, because it would not meet the following criterion:

The Ball is at least partially within the three-dimensional volume defined by the outer edges of the Cube’s structure.

2 Likes