Unbelievable Disrespect by MC in finals

I was shocked at the disrespect given to 980S by refusing to acknowledge that they are from Taiwan. It is frustrating to see a great competition like this bow to politics and refuse to identify a team by the place with which they choose to identify. It is Taiwan not Chinese Taipei.

10 Likes

2 Likes

Yes, and the MC kept saying they are from Chinese Taipei.

3 Likes

My guess is that since china is such a major participant in vrc, they are able to get recf to refer to taiwan as “Chinese Taipei” at worlds. Not saying that this is justified, because it’s not, but this was most certainly not an expression of the emcee’s personal political beliefs.

21 Likes

China is a huge region for Vex - they would forfeit that entire market if they made a major issue out of this. At the end of the day they evaluated their profits, and their mission, and decided to bend the knee.

That said - I think the good out weighs the harm. An international educational event that connects Chinese students to the rest of the world and pulls them beyond their borders is worth more than a symbolic battle about how Taiwan is named in a silly ceremony nobody watches.

Edit: Typos

10 Likes

Not only that, also where VEX Robotics the product company manufactures their products.

6 Likes