Well it’s been about a week since I’ve leeked it, and I’ve got a “functioning” prototype of my ‘V5 Controller Ergonomic Upgrade Kit’. My ideas for more (theoretically)ergonomic features quickly made it more than just a scuf controller so it’s named as such.
I was hoping to have it ready for the 2022 ‘Make It Real’ CAD Online Challenge, but I was unfortunately unable to complete the report in time so I guess I’ll have to wait until next year to submit it, but I’ll go ahead and leek it now anyways.
Right now I still have a few features to add and quite a bit more polishing up to do, but here’s what I’ve got done so far on the V1 design:
It’s got a paddle for all 8 face buttons,
A USB-C extension to the top to match the rest of the I/O ports / to protect the controller’s port,
And a holster so you don’t accidentally lose it after setting it down somewhere at a competition.
I’m not quite satisfied with it’s design so I’m going to hold off on releasing the files until it’s done, but I’ll hopefully have a V2 done within another week or so which will maybe look less like a brick attached to a clipboard, but we’ll see how everything turns out.
(And yes, you’ll be able to use a Micro-USB extension instead of a USB-C adapter if you are so inclined)
I’m having trouble fixing some problems that came up with the original Inventor files after I went through them again to make the final report for the Online Challenge so I’m not able to release those files yet, but I do have the .obj files from when I 3D Printed the prototype.
Quite a bit of support material will be needed.
If you have an option that says ‘Everywhere’, then just use that. It’ll be unnecessarily supported in a couple of places, but it’ll save a lot of time placing supports manually.
The locking arm might be a bit weaker, so look out for that, but then you should only need supports in the holes.
Holster Belt Clip
I really don’t recommend using this one as it was thrown together to test out the holster concept, and is pretty uncomfortable to wear.
But if you really want it, Printing it like this would be ideal for strength:
Have you considered a right-angle ribbon cable? It should be possible to slim down on some of the bulk quite significantly by using one. I was able to find this W3-T4B cable on aliexpress which looks like it would do the job, and although it doesn’t have any surface mount holes, it should be possible by nature of the PCB to design the print to hold it in place.
Sorry to reopen this thread, I know its been 18 days, but has anyone printed out the version 1 of this yet? I want to print this out before my state championship(march 5th) but I want to know how well it works and how comfortable it is to use before I use a ton of filament on it. So if anyone has printed it please let me know your thoughts on it and what settings you used to print it (Layer height, rafts, supports, etc.)
I only have a little bit of filament left and I’m currently saving for something else so I don’t want to print this and have it not really work and use most of the filament I have at the moment, but I’ll probably just go ahead and print it and hope for the best. Hopefully it works first try and all the stuff doesn’t take too long to print.
Right now I’m printing Dwane the ring Johnson to give to @Diz and @DodgeDoodle_41442A at state but I’m going to start the clamshell as soon as that finishes. Hopefully it should all be done in like a week. I’ll post the results when I’m done.
This is very nice, I’d love to print one!
However, I only need the scuf part, and don’t care much about the usb-c extension or the belt clip. Is it possible that there will be a version later that does not have those?
Sorry for the lack of updates, Other things have taken priority over this project (such as designing/building bots so I can actually compete in Vex) so unfortunately I haven’t got a whole lot done on V2 yet.
I don’t have a good estimate for how long it’ll be until it’s done, but I can say it’ll be 3 weeks at a minimum before I can really start work on it again.
I have been looking into right-angle cables, but I’ve had a pretty difficult time finding one that’ll work.
While the one you linked seems like the best option design-wise I’ve seen so far, one of the goals of the project is to use parts that’d be readily available (or fast/easy to acquire) to most teams and that cable has an estimated shipping time from China to the USA of about 1 month.
I personally used a layer height of .30mm to get the prototype printed quicker, and didn’t use any rafts on my Prusa i3 with a smooth PEI spring steel print bed, but it may be a different story for you depending on the material/texture of your print bed.
I tried to design them in such a way that they’ll use as little support material as possible (the lower clamshell half being the only exception), there is a dropdown of the recommended orientation to print the parts in my previous post.
Well I can say it works pretty well but the lower paddles seem a bit awkward to me, but I also haven’t had a whole ton of lot with it yet so it might be fine after a while.
Yes, in the future you will be able to get models without certain features if you don’t want them. But as I stated before it’ll be a while until I can work on it.
If you haven’t gone too far into V2 dev yet, maybe look into something like a lever rather than a paddle. We have a long piece where you apply a bit of pressure for it to trigger the buttons, but I’m not too sure how that could be implemented with the brick on the bottom